Welcome

image003The Parent Teacher Association is a 100% volunteer organization made up of Parent volunteers that supplies valuable resources and funding to support all types of school programs. (Check out our Made Possible by EPTA Contributions Page for some examples.)  This web site was created to provide information about the PTA, its officers, events and programs. We invite you to join our organization and make your child’s experience in school an even more memorable one for yourself and your children.

Thank You for a Great Year!

thankyou16

Volunteer! Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. – Arthur Ashe

Thank you for your generous gift of time to the PTA this year. Our volunteer organization is run solely by parents just like you. Because of your help and efforts, children had photo days, a yearbook at WI to remember their school year, lunchtime book clubs, book fairs, chess clubs, field days, movie nights, spirit wear, career day and so much more. Thank you again for your kind spirit, and stopping by to offer us a helping hand! Please look for volunteer forms in the summer packets that you will receive for your children and consider helping us again next year. Best wishes to you and your families for a happy and healthy summer.

Sincerely,

-Jacki Geoghegan, Angel Rafter and the PTA Board

May 13, 2016 Meeting

May 13, 2016 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Tara Schatzel

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Dancy Balestrieri

Maribel Palacios-Perez

David Neilsen

Fiona Galloway

Kelley Anniccherico

Nitasha Kumar

Jennifer Povman

 

-Welcome and Get Out the Vote:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:35 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. Jacki reminded class VP’s to get the class list from school offices and send the class parents a backpack note with the class list, asking class parents to call and remind households that May 17th is the day to get out and vote on our school budget.

-Event Dates for Next Year

Tuesday, September 27th there is a successful study presentation being offered by “Succesful Study Schools S4”.  The seminar will be free for community parents, but will cost $475, and Jacki is asking the PTA board if we should book this event.  PTA agreed that we should consider it, especially if there is some flexibility regarding the cost.  Jacki agreed to go back and try to negotiate the price.  Jen Povman suggested advertising this event at back to school nights early next year.  Jen also mentioned that she is looking into the cost of the “screenagers” documentary and if the licensing fee of $650 will be spread out across districts.

Middle School movie night will be Friday November 4th, WI movie night will be May 5th, and both dates will be put on the district calendar.

-PTA Planning Update

David Neilsen will be stepping down as the PTA Membership Chair, a new person is needed. Jacki asked the board to try and think of someone new to fill this position.  Nitasha Kumar has agreed to be the Square 1 Art Chairperson. Amada Reimundez will co-chair.  PTA still needs a Photo Day chairperson.  A class parent coordinator for Kindergarten and Pre-K are positions that still need to be filled.

Jacki advised the board that she received notice from the state, and our name has officially been changed to Horsemen PTA.

-Staff Appreciation Luncheon

The luncheons will be held the week of May 22nd.  W.I. will be the 23rd, middle school the 25th, Morse the 26th and JP the 27th.  Wraps are being bought from C-town and will come out of the PTA budget.

-Volunteer Brunch

The brunch is being held Monday, June 13th from 8:30-10:30 at Pierson Park (weather permitting), otherwise in the Administration Bldg.  Jacki sent an email to the PTA board asking for a list of emails of any volunteers/helpers/coordinators to be sent to her by May 25th so that she can send out the invitation for the brunch.

-Rivertown Parents

Jen Povman addressed the board, asking for another volunteer to help her represent our district. The commitment would be for 1 Wednesday a month.  Upcoming events are May 24th “The Hunting Ground” a sex abuse/date rape on college campuses, the movie and discussion will be held at Mercy College from 6:15-9PM.  October 25th “Anxious kids, Anxious Parents” is being held, time and place to be advised.  Jen also suggested checking Leslie Josel’s website for her seminar on tools of organization.  Mitch Sylves-Berry has said she would like to participate.

-School Updates

Jacki reminded Middle School VP’s to create line items for the middle school budget. Jacki and Mitch will be meeting after the luncheons to work on this.  Angel and Mitch asked the board for volunteers to help steam gowns for the 8th grade formal dance.

Ms. Susan Bretti has been selected as the W.I. principal for next year. Square 1 Art was successfully completed at WI.

The box-top pizza party at Morse was a big success. Morse received a check for $749 for the box-top campaign and it looks like their goal of $1,000 for the year will be achieved.  The 1st class field trip around the community was also a success.  The traffic pattern issues at Morse seem to be under control, and Mr. Holland seems satisfied with drop-off and pick-up.

Tara advised the board that the staff luncheon plans at Morse are moving smoothly and that they are working on organizing field day.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:15 A.M. our next and final meeting for this school year will be Friday, June 17th.

April 15, 2016 Meeting Minutes

April 15, 2016 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Tara Schatzel

Donna Gates

Andrea Gottschall

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Senia Sakarya

Dancy Balestrieri

Maribel Palacios-Perez

David Neilsen

Katie Scully

Jen Bayliss

Pamela Louis

Fiona Galloway

Karina Arreola

Kelley Anniccherico

Paula Thaler

Jennifer Povman

 

-Welcome and Budget Presentation by Board of Ed:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:35 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. Dr. Dan McCann and Mr. John Staiger presented the 2016-2017 Tarrytown UFSD budget to the PTA board with a brief Q&A session that followed.  The presentation was aided by Ms. Pam Rourke, Dr. Debbie Hand as well as a few other representatives from the Buildings Committee and included the Board’s academic goals, a school by school staffing breakdown, and a discussion regarding future planning in the district.  Budget adoption by the Board will be April 19th and the public hearing will be Thursday, May 5th.  The budget vote will be held on May 17th, and the PTA board agreed with Dr. McCann to reach out to parents in the community to vote.

 

-Relay Team

Jacki advised the PTA board that a team leader is needed to represent the PTA team for the Relay for Life fundraiser being held the weekend of June 10th.

-Fundraising

Donna met with a representative of the Charleston Wrapping Paper Co. and handed out some sample brochures to be reviewed by the board. Each school will run their own campaign, similar to photo-day.  The board agreed to choose a wrapping paper event instead of Yankee Candle.  Donna created and distributed a 2016-2017 Fundraising schedule, with a table of events and a contact info section to be utilized for the next school year.  The board also discussed whether we should continue or drop the Holiday Pie event.  Some feel it is a lot of work for little return, while others agreed it provides a useful service to the community.  No decision was made here.

Mitch talked about a Scrips Gift Certificate buying program that could be run in the spring of 2017. This program averages 4-13% returns and is a great idea for school supplies and/or teacher gift ideas.  The board agreed this could be something to try, but we would need someone to chair this new event.

-Digital Safety Event

Jacki summarized the digital safety event that was held on April 12th.  30 people signed up for the event, and a follow up event will happen soon (May 4).  There is a comprehensive section regarding Digital Safety under the “Parent” tab of our school district website.  This was created by Jean O’Brien and contains links and video presentations.  More tips on digital safety will be included in Jean’s weekly email blasts.

-PTA Planning

Jacki asked the board members to contact her or Angel to advise if you are planning to continue on the PTA Board for next year. We need to start looking to fill roles for those who will not continue on.

-Movie night

Jackie and Andrea noted that movie night will be Friday, April 29th.  Andrea mentioned that there will be a concession stand set up outside the auditorium.   The children will be voting from “Jurassic World”, “Guardians of the Galaxy”, or “Star Wars” at the MS. At the same time, there will be one at the elementary schools with a concession outside the auditorium at WI. The movie choices are “Minions”, “Inside Out” and one more choice. The children are voting.

-Blood Drive

Donna Gates advised the board that the blood drive will be held Thursday, April 28th in the W.I. cafeteria.  Donna requested that if anyone can volunteer their time to please send her an email.

-WI Play funding

Pam Louis expressed her concern that there are children involved in the WI play whose parents are unable to afford a ticket to watch their child perform the night of the play. The board agreed to create a stipulation next year in regards to funds budgeted for the Y, as long as the Y set aside a certain number of tickets to accommodate such families. Help identifying these students should come from the WI Principal, Assistant Principal and/or the WI Social worker. Given the length of time from tryouts to performance, this should be a realistic amount of time to identify such families.

-Game night/screen free week

Donna Gates advised the board that May 2- May7th will be “screen free” week in the district. Donna noted that May 3rd, WI would like to hold a family game night in the cafeteria from 6-7:30 PM.  Donna needs at least 5 volunteers to help out.  The board suggested that game night be moved to Thursday May 5th because May 3rd there will be a math program update event for the parents being held at the middle school.

-Budget

Kelley reminded everyone that June 30th is the cut-off for receipts to be handed in for expense reimbursements.  Jacki asked the VP’s to review budget line items and allocation amounts and email any new ideas/amounts to Kelley.

-Jacki (misc. items)

Jacki advised the board that the spring luncheons are all covered this year by chair people.

Jacki distributed two flyers to the board, and asked the board to look at both websites. When viewing the website, the board should consider if we should show the documentary to parents and students next year, and should the PTA host the parent workshop. The first flyer is for a documentary called “Screenagers” created by physician/filmmaker Delaney Ruston.  This film takes a personal approach and probes into the amount of time kids spend in front of video screens, and all of the problems that can ensue.  The film offers solutions on how adults can empower their kids to best navigate the digital world and help find balances.  The website is www.screenagersmovie.com/about/. The board after reviewing the flyer, thought that this is something important that can benefit everyone and we should proceed in scheduling this. We are looking at mid-late October dates.

 

The second flyer is for a parent workshop that is targeted to both middle and high school parents. Jacki thought this might also be appropriate for 5th grade too. This would be 1 hour, it is information based and an interactive session designed to give parents the practical tools they need to best support their child’s study practices at home.  The website is www.successfulstudyskills4students.com/. The board after reviewing the flyer and short discussion thought this is something that many parents are looking for help with and we should proceed in scheduling this. We are looking at late September dates.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:54 A.M. our next meeting will be Friday, May 13th.

March Meeting Minutes

March 18, 2016 Meeting

Attendees

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Donna Gates

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Senia Sakarya

Dancy Balestrieri

Maribel Palacios-Perez

Karina Arreola

Kelley Anniccherico

David Neilsen

Nitasha Kumar

 

Our meeting was called to order at 8:40 A.M. by Jacki and Angel.

Superintendent Site Visit Recap

Angel gave a recap of the visit to Armonk for the Superintendent evaluation. They met with 3 groups of people. Teachers, Parents/students, and the administration (superintendent, heads of departments). The common thread was that Chris Borsari is honest, has a strong moral compass, hardworking and all about the students. Chris Borsari talked to the diversity issues in our district and is looking forward to working within the community, not just in the schools. All of the people interviewed are very sad to loose him. The overwhelming vote on the ride back was for Chris Borsari. Angel encouraged that we meet with the new superintendent as soon as you can with any issues.

Jacki made the announcement that during the next PTA meeting Dr. McCann, Mr. John Staiger and Ms. Pamela Rourke will present the budget detail to the group to help understand what is changing and to help encourage people to go out and vote. The Building committee will also be present to talk about capital work. All board members are expected to attend and we requested everyone come a few minutes before 8:30 as the presentation will begin at 8:30

Fundraising

Donna itemized the different fundraisers for the Middle School and Kelley will send the middle school vps a detailed list with the total dollar amounts the Middle School has to spend this week.  The highlighted issue was the wrapping paper loss. Several orders were stolen from the main office resulting in a $1000 loss. They still made money, just not as much as they should have. Donna’s father is making a lock box to prevent this from happening next year.

Donna discussed changing the wrapping paper to Yankee candle. The wrapping paper rep says that many schools alternate year to year. It was majority vote to keep the wrapping paper, maybe add the yankee candle to wrapping paper.

Looking for spring fundraiser. Suggestions were asked for in the last meeting. Amada said the Little Caesar’s pizza fundraiser worked in the preschool very well. She will send details to Donna later. A bulb fundraiser was mentioned, but a few members were not in favor bulbs, because it appears to be a lot of work for little payoff and more importantly, not everyone has a yard to plant. Jacki suggested a candy fundraiser perhaps for Valentines day. Mitch suggested Script, a gift card buying fundraiser, she will send more information later as well. We will bring materials to show everyone at the next meeting.

Square one art is well on it’s way. Order forms were sent home. Should be shipped before mothers day. You can go back and order past years online!

Cyber Parenting/ Internet awareness recap

Jacki thanked everyone who came out to the meeting. Gave many thanks to Jean O’Brien, couldn’t have done it without her. Jean and Jacki are working on a follow up, hands-on small group session that will cover using filters and parental controls, showing apps that their children may be using, etc. We discussed the little girl who went home after the meeting and told her parents about someone talking to her through Trivia Crack. Notices were sent home in Sleepy Hollow but not in Tarrytown. Question was asked if anything is being done for the 5th for internet awareness. Jacki said that the 5th grade PE classes the kids are being exposed to an age appropriate internet awareness program (digital passport) that educates kids in a game function.

Donna asked if there were any follow-ups to teach kids about stranger danger. It was pointed out that the email that was sent out by Pleasantville had great ideas and tips on how to talk to your kids about stranger danger. Karina requested that such notices be sent out as a flyer because not every family has internet access.

Mitch suggested that at back to school night that parents are given a chance to sign up for town notifications and the TUFSD site.

School Updates –

JP – Very successful book fair this year! Highest grossing bookfair ever at JP. PJ Party, good communication, weather, Clifford the big red dog were some of the reasons listed for the success.

Better communication is needed between Pre-k and K, Natasha met with Mrs. Barnett about how to improve this. Mrs. Barnett was very receptive to the suggestions. Pre-k will have it’s own back to school night and they will get a bus ride, like K does prior to the start of school.

Morse – Drop off is still a problem. The police officer is there but it is not really helping. Tickets need to be given to the offenders to make a difference.  Donna suggested copying Pleasantville, they are a walking school district. Donna will go and find out more and pass along the information to the appropriate people.

Dancy needs more money for trip around the community. It was denied.  Projects need to stay within the budgeted amount. It was suggested that they could use the VP fund if they decide that is where they want to spend the money. The request was for the backpacks. It was suggested to Dancy to find out from past chairs where they purchased the bags.

WI – Donna reported on Math Madness. Not a great turn out, but there were many competing sporting events on the same day. Year book is on schedule.

Middle School – Mitch told us about the successful dances they have had. A second one will be on April 1st. Coaches and teachers of the clubs are respecting the dance and adjusting their schedules around it.

2 children need scholarships for the DC trip. Middle School vps need to vote and approve to issue the funds. It was suggested that kids who get the scholarships pay back in community service, like they do for the band trip. How to do this without singling out children. Talk to band teacher to find out how they do it.

MS is doing booster ads in the yearbook, proceeds going to help purchase books for children in need. Jacki asked if the PTA was willing to sponsor an ad at the cost of $75. A vote was taken and all present were in favor.

Movie night was approved for MS students on the same night as the elementary movie night. The event is free, but a few parent chaperones will be needed. It will take place in the auditorium on 4/29.

 

Relay for Life update

Jacki asked if we should have a PTA team. Jacki will send out an email, since we were short on time.

Jacki concluded the meeting. Next one scheduled for April 15th.  Board member attendance required.

 

 

Upcoming Rivertown Parents Event – Organization & Time Management with Leslie Josel

It’s 10:00 pm—Do You Know Where Your Homework Is?

Organization and Time Management Strategies

 for Success in Middle School, High School and Life

with

Leslie Josel

founder of Order Out of Chaos®

and author of

“What’s the Deal with Teens
and Time Management?”

 

Topics will include:

  • Creating a “Personal Homework Profile” for your middle-or high-school student
  • Developing time sense and “future awareness”
  • How to choose and use a paper or electronic planner
  • Real-life case studies, practical tips, tools and more!

DESIGNED FOR PARENTS OF 5TH-10TH GRADERS

Tuesday, April 19, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.

Dobbs Ferry Middle School/High School Auditorium

505 Broadway, Dobbs Ferry

 

FREE ADMISSION AND PARKING

RP_logo

RIVERTOWN PARENTS is a consortium of the PTSAs of Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings-on-Hudson, Irvington and Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow, along with Mercy College. Our mission is to promote and foster communication in the Rivertowns among parents, children and schools, and to provide educational resources to the community at large. To learn more, contact us at rivertownparents@gmail.com.

February 26, 2016 PTA Meeting

February 26, 2016 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Tara Schatzel

Donna Gates

Andrea Gottschall

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Jen Povman

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Senia Sakarya

Dancy Balestrieri

Maribel Palacios-Perez

Karina Arreola

Paula Thaler

-Welcome and Budget:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:37 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. Kelley advised the board that there were no changes in the budget.  Dancy asked if Kelley could change the Morse Class Parent tea line item to the Box Top celebration, Jacki explained that we could do it this year, but if we wanted to add Box Top Celebration to the budget permanently, we would have to vote on adding it as a budgeted item.  Subsequently, Dancy mentioned that Friday February 26th was the last day to submit box tops receipts.  Kelley and Jacki asked the middle school VP’s to draft a budget with specific event line items, similar to the other schools.  Kelley, Jacki and Angel agreed to help the VP’s create their budget items.  Lastly, Jacki and Kelley reminded everyone that receipts must be submitted for reimbursement before the last day of June for tax reasons.

-Fundraising:

Donna Gates advised that square one artwork was mailed out for the 3 schools yesterday. The work is expected back in 2 to 3 weeks at which point order forms will be sent home.  The wrapping paper event brought in over $11,000 this year, including money that was raised at the middle school.  Donna suggested switching to Yankee Candle next year, since this event hasn’t been used since the 2010-2011 school year.  The board discussed the possibility of doing two events next year, keeping the wrapping paper fundraiser and perhaps adding another event for February.  Amada, Dancy, Angel, Andrea Gottschall and Jacki agreed to come up with other fundraising ideas for February 2017 and to discuss them with the board at our next meeting in March.  Donna also agreed to break down the previous year’s wrapping paper sales between the kitchen items that were sold and the wrapping paper goods so we could get an idea of what was the bigger seller.  Jen Povman said that she would ask other river towns for some new ideas regarding fundraising events.

-Mini grant recap:

Jacki advised the board that there was $5,500 in mini grant funds to distribute. There was more than $12,000 in mini grant requests this year in our district.  The program did its best to try and give something to everyone.  There was a lot of positive feedback and appreciation from the beneficiaries of this year’s mini grants.  Jacki distributed email samples from various teachers and administrators in the district with specific examples of the many good things to come from the grants.  The board agreed to allocate more money to the mini-grant program to accommodate the addition of the middle school, with that portion coming from the MS budget.

-Cyber Safety/Security Presentations for Middle School students and adults:

Tuesday March 8th from 7 to 8:30 a presentation will be given by Thomas Grimes, a 20 year veteran detective with the New York City Police Department.  The presentation will provide parents with an explicit understanding of what children and teens are doing every day online, and how to help keep them safe.  The event is open to the public, for adults only and Spanish translation will be available.  Jacki has requested each board member to tell 5 of their friends about this event. It is expected that all PTA Board Members will attend this event.  A child-friendly version of the event is being given to middle school students during the day in early March.  A flyer will go out in backpack mail with the ability for your child to opt-out upon parental request.

-School Updates:

MS-The middle school advised that an anonymous incident reporting form was created and posted on the school website. This report was created to help improve communications and feedback between the students and school administration.  Principal Lopez and Assistant Principal Engelhardt have been set up as administrators and will be monitoring activity.  A second school dance event is being considered for the middle school this year, possibly April 1st.  Approval was given for a movie night at the middle school this spring.  Students will be voting for a movie soon.  The board agreed that the middle school should consider making their movie night the same as W.I. (April 29th), and including a bake sale/fundraiser.

WI-Donna advised the board that WI is busy with their play, March Math Madness, Circus night, and concert preparation. Donna will be meeting with Principal Bretti to discuss the March 12th Math Madness event.  Tara agreed to send Donna an email of the volunteers for this event.

Morse-Trip around the community planning will begin in early March. VP’s had their meeting with Mr. Holland recently and there was a lot of talk about drop off and pick up safety.  The village board has been very cooperative in trying to improve conditions.  March 8th the board will be holding a hearing at 7PM.  The PTA board suggested asking the town to move this hearing due to it conflicting with the middle school cyber safety night.  The new crossing guard has been in place for 1 week and unfortunately there are still violators, many believe there should be a police officer in place to enforce the traffic laws.  The board suggested trying to get photos of the violations as they happen to bring to the village board’s attention.  Tara asked if we could create a welcome packet for new families that move in to our district.  Jacki agreed that this should be discussed with the new superintendent. Something had been started with our previous superintendent; the PTA provided documentation for a program, but with the change in administration it was dropped.

JP- The book fair kicks off the week of March 7th.  Monday night will be bedtime stories with milk and cookies from 6-8PM.  JP still needs some high school volunteers to help out with this event. Andrea Gottschall is trying to round up some HS volunteers.

-Other Updates:

Andrea advised that there is still a lot of spirit wear inventory, especially t-shirts.

Jacki explained that calendar option “B” was being sent to the BOE for the next school year.

Jacki distributed a flyer from the Dobbs Ferry school district and PTSA. They will be presenting a screening and panel discussion titled “Most Likely to Succeed” on March 9th at 7 P.M. at the Dobbs Ferry High School at 505 Broadway.  This presentation is free and open to the public.

Jen Povman announced that Rivertown Parents will be hosting a seminar on organization and time management strategies April 19th from 7:30-9 P.M. at the Dobbs Ferry Middle School  called “Do you Know Where Your Homework is?”

Our meeting was adjourned at 10:12 AM; our next meeting is scheduled for March 18th.

COLORING BOOK DRIVE AT SLEEPY HOLLOW MIDDLE SCHOOL

COLORING BOOK DRIVE AT

SLEEPY HOLLOW MIDDLE SCHOOL

 Coloring book with flower theme 3

In the month of February, Maddie, a 7th– grade student on Team Narwhal at Sleepy Hollow Middle School is collected coloring books and crayons to benefit children at Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester County Medical Center. Coloring with crayons is proven to help relieve stress in these young patients. Maddie hopes her community service project will match coloring books and crayons with young patients to reduce their stress. Please consider dropping off new or unused coloring books and/or crayons at Sleepy Hollow Middle School’s main office. Maddie thanks you in advance for your support.