February 17, 2017 PTA Minutes

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Dancy Balestrieri

Andrea Gottschall

Fiona Galloway

Christina Grillo

Juliana Aloia

Thomas Lipping

Phyllis Arduino

Elia Londono

Donna Gates

-Welcome and Intros:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:35 A.M. by Jacki.

-Budget:

Angel and Kelley were not in attendance; however, they have everything ready for our March meeting. Analysis of last year’s revenue and expenses show that we broke even. We won’t be looking to add new line items, and budget cuts should not be required if we keep expenses constant.

-Fundraising

There will be a brunch preview on March 14th hosted by Miss Chocolate, a possible new fundraising vendor. The board discussed Innisbrook vs. Charleston vendor, although no decision was finalized. Andrea G. suggested a plant/bulb sale, just not the same time as the wrapping paper campaign. Christina Grillo will speak with a representative of the TASH farmers market about getting Horsemen PTA a table. Phyllis suggested a new idea; “Summer in a Box”, a fundraising event that packages the sale of summer items such as flip-flops, sunscreen, hats, creams, and bathing suits.

-Calendar Overview

The calendar committee will be presenting to the Board of Education in March, to set up dates for next year’s school calendar. The options are similar to our current school year.

-Screenagers Recap and Finding Kind Trailer

Feedback was very positive from this well attended event. Parents and kids seemed to agree that it was a great conversation starter and everyone seemed to get a lot out of this very informative presentation. The same company that offered this event is now offering another video called “Finding Kind”.  Two friends travel across the country and expose the truth behind girl against girl bullying. Jacki showed the PTA board a preview video. Viewing of this video would be free, due to our purchase of “Screenagers”. PTA suggested opening it to Rivertown Parents and marketing the event through Girl Scouts. Andrea G. agreed to speak to Ardsley district concerning their opinion, and see if they have viewed/hosted this. The board discussed if it should only be shown in the evening, and whether to show it only to girls, or the coed population as well.

-School Updates

-MS

The book fair was held in the library this year. We are awaiting the results of a survey that was sent out for feedback. We are hoping to hold this event in the auditorium next year, due to a lack of space in the MS library. There are more than 180 students attending the D.C. trip this year. The trip is fully funded for students who need financial assistance. The board discussed having basic guideline requirements in place for scholarship assistance in the future. The middle school dance went well, and was well attended. The variety show was last night and any funds raised there will be going to the arts dept.

-WI

The blood drive will be held at WI on Thursday, March 2nd from 11:30 to 7:30 PM. The jump rope and Kid Stuff Coupon book events are currently in progress. A gardening plan/design is still needed. The principal chat helped explain that when the temperature is 25 or below, kids are kept inside. There are strict guidelines in place about kids not allowed to touch the snow and must stay on the black top when there is snow. Indoor recess is still in need of adult volunteers.

 

-Morse

Box tops challenge is currently underway, and the students are very involved as the competition heats up.

-JP

The principal chat was mostly concerning volunteers for the book fair. Juliana will submit her check for last year’s square 1 art to Kelley A.

The Mini-grant committee meeting will be rescheduled for Feb. 27th or March 1st.

Our meeting adjourned at 10:16 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday March 17th at 8:30 AM.

Screenagers Program Rescheduled

Inline image 1
Screenagers: Growing Up in the Digital Age and Panel Discussion has been rescheduled for Wednesday, 2/15/17 at 7:00 pm
The event on 2/15 will be held at the SHHS Auditorium, 210 N. Broadway, Sleepy Hollow.
If you have already registered, there is no need to do so again. If you have not already registered for the program but would like to do so, please register here.

Targeted to parents & their children, the documentary dives deep into how technology impacts children’s development and the challenges of parenting in the digital world. Through poignant and unexpectedly funny stories, along with surprising insights from authors, psychologists, and brain scientists, Screenagers reveals how much tech time impacts kids’ development and offers solutions on how adults can empower kids to best navigate the digital world and find balance.
It will be immediately followed a panel discussion moderated by Tarrytown Superintendent of Schools Chris Borsari. 
 
Panelists will include: 
Licensed Clinical Social Worker Amber da Silva, Irvington;
Jean O’Brien, Technology Specialist for the Tarrytown Union Free School District; 

and Amy Walsh, Social Worker for the Tarrytown Union Free School District.

 
 
 
Inline image 2  Inline image 3

January 20, 2017 PTA Minutes

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Dancy Balestrieri

Kelley Anniccherico

Andrea Gottschall

Fiona Galloway

Christina Grillo

Juliana Aloia

Sheila Emery Murphy

Thomas Lipping

Samantha Ford Godette

Karina Arreola-Flores

Tara Schatzel

Lauren McBride

 

-Welcome and Intros:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:42 A.M. by Jacki and Angel.

-Budget:

Kelley distributed a hard copy of the budget. Kelley and Angel are working on a new budget format, to be presented at next month’s meeting. The new format will show the admin expenditures in addition to how much was spent (by school) for prior year, as well as where we are this year.

-Fundraising

The book fairs at Morse and W.I. are finished. After netting, the results are very comparable to last year. Scholastic has provided feedback that much of the country is seeing a plateau in revenue from book fair fundraisers.

Square 1 program is in progress, and should be ready to have products in time for Mother’s Day.

Jacki and Angel asked the board to think about new fundraising ideas that might target a different audience/market. The board suggested targeting 3rd Friday with a booth that had kid activities, as well as a booth at the Farmers market in Patriot Park. The board suggested applying for a grant, as long as we choose a specific project. Lastly, a concession booth/bake sale at some town sporting events i.e.: TNT baseball, Tri-county basketball etc. These items will be added to our volunteer list for next season.

-Screenagers Update

A 1 hour and 10 minute documentary dealing with social media, gaming and screen time management followed by a panel discussion moderated by Superintendent Borsari with a Q&A session will be held Tuesday, January 31, 2017 beginning at 7:00 PM in the SHHS auditorium with Spanish subtitles. The event is funded by Horsemen PTA and will be free for the district attendees. Kids are welcome as long as they are with a parent or guardian, and preregistration will be required for this event. This event will be open to the Rivertown Parents partner districts as well. Jacki and Angel asked the board to please try and get the word out.

-Mini Grant Update

Grant request forms went out to the school principals. February 15th is the deadline for grant requests. The Mini grant committee meeting will be held on Friday February 17th immediately following our PTA meeting. The middle school agreed to keep the $500 mini-grant separate from other projects to build a reserve. Andrea, Mitch and Tom will discuss this with the middle school parents. Lastly, Jacki noted that grant recipients need to know that purchases/receipts have to be submitted quickly.

-School Updates

-MS

Andrea advised that since there has been an increase in the number of 8th grade students who need funding for the Washington D.C. trip, there are a number of upcoming events to help raise the funds.

-WI

Indoor recess is in need of more volunteers. Children have complained that they don’t always get to go outside. VP’s agreed to discuss this, as well as the policies regarding outdoor recess rules at the next principal’s chat.

-Morse

VP’s met with Mr. Holland last week. Safety seems to have improved, and the SH police have been randomly checking in. Box top challenge is ready to go next week. The children will be going on a trip to see Mary Poppins next week. The Morse Hi-5 program is changing to promote better behavior all the time, with all students receiving keychain reward to display on their backpacks, instead of Hi-5 bracelets as reminders.   Flooding issues at Morse were caused by tree roots breaking some underground pipes. These issues will be remediated by the village.

-JP

VP’s haven’t had their meeting yet with the principal. Their meeting is scheduled for Monday January 23rd.

 

Our meeting adjourned at 9:48 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday February 17th at 8:30 AM.

Screenagers Screening & Panel Discussion Rescheduled for 2/15

Now Rescheduled for Wednesday, 2/15

 REGISTER HERE

Horseman PTA  in partnership with Rivertown Parents present:

Screenagers: Growing Up in the Digital Age

 screenagers_instagram_post

Targeted to both parents & their children, this documentary dives deep into how technology impacts children’s development and the challenges of parenting in the digital world.  Through poignant, & unexpectedly funny stories, along with surprising insights from authors, psychologists, and brain scientists, SCREENAGERS reveals how much tech time impacts kids’ development & offers solutions on how adults can empower kids to best navigate the digital world and find balance.

 
 

Wednesday, February 15th
@7pm in the HS Auditorium

210 North Broadway, Sleepy Hollow

Panel Discussion Immediately Following the Screening:

Panelists include

Amber da Silva-Barron, LCSW, Irvington

Jean O’Brien, Technology Specialist – Tarrytown Union Free School District

Amy Walsh, Social Worker – Tarrytown Union Free School District

The Movie will have Spanish Subtitles. Panel Discussion after the screening will be translated.

Logo A RP_logo

December 16, 2016 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Dancy Balestrieri

Kelley Anniccherico

Nitasha Kumar

Donna Gates

Pamela Louis

Andrea Gottschall

Katie Scully

Fiona Galloway

Karen Kuhn

Christina Grillo

Juilana Aloia

Jen Povman

-Welcome and Intros:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:41 A.M. by Jacki and Angel.

-Budget:

Kelley distributed a hard copy of the budget. Kelley reminded the board to have all their receipts submitted from the class parent teas; JP vice presidents advised that they will make sure to submit them. Angel advised the board to be more budget conscious this year.

-District Communications Survey

Jacki reminded everyone to please respond to the survey. Dancy and Karina are on the committee. Dancy advised that there are more than 750 responses and Mr. Borsari is hoping for more. Karen Kuhn will add a link on our site that will direct candidates to the survey.

-Screenagers Update

A 1 hour and 10 minute documentary dealing with social media, gaming and screen time management followed by a panel discussion with Q&A session. This event will be held January 31, 2017 beginning at 7:00 in the SHHS auditorium with Spanish subtitles. The event is funded by Horsemen PTA and will be free for the district attendees. Kids are welcome as long as they are with a parent or guardian, and preregistration will be required for this event. This event will be open to the Rivertown Parents partner districts.

-Mini Grant Committee

This committee will meet at the end of January and is open to all to attend. The following list includes PTA board members interested; Katie Scully, Christina Grillo, Donna Gates, Jen Povman, Dancy Balestrieri, Pamela Louis, Amada Reimundez, Nitasha Kumar, Andrea Gotschall, Mitch Sylves-Berry, Angel Rafter, Leah McVey, and Jacki Geoghegan.

-Spirit Wear

Andrea advised the board that ordering will resume at the end of January for spring delivery. They are considering including school (building) specific merchandise.

-School Updates

-MS

Mitch advised that the middle school is working to improve communications between the school and the parents.

The Washington DC trip is currently under funded, specifically for scholarships. They are hoping the two school dances will help close the gap. Donna mentioned that Principal Lopez is looking for fundraising ideas to help. The board suggested a walkathon, concessions at school plays, bake sales and possibly selling video footage of school concerts to the district parents. Donna will bring these ideas back to Ms. Lopez for discussion.

Katie mentioned that the BOE is discussing fundraising for the creation of a better surface to replace the hardpan behind the middle school.

 

-WI

Book fair was a success with many volunteers and over $13,400 in sales. Many books went to kids in need. Many positive comments came in from parents and teachers regarding better book variety this year.

Fiona noted that safety vests are now worn by staff at recess & dismissal.

Indoor recess will begin in January and there is a need for parent volunteers. Nitasha suggested creating an email asking for volunteers for a 10 week program to oversee crafts, board games etc. Karen Kuhn agreed to post this on the horsemen website.

“Hour of code” was a success at WI 2 weeks ago.

Photo re-take went well and the security guard seems to be working out nicely.

W.I.’s “Trudy Garden” needs a new coordinator to help design a landscaping plan. Katie mentioned a sponsorship from a local landscape business. Other board members suggested asking volunteers from Kendall to help with the garden.

-Morse

Photo day went well, as they managed to stay ahead of schedule. Jacki advised VP’s to tell soliciting photographers that we are currently in a multi-year contract.

-JP

Nitasha and Juliana noted that the security desk has streamlined and organized their sign in system.

The wrapping paper fundraiser was a success. Unfortunately, backorders for all the schools went to JP. The VP’s agreed to work on better communication to avoid this happening in the future. Back orders should go directly to the parent/ordering party.

The JP Principal Fund was used to re-tune Ms. Garibaldi’s piano. The board denied increasing the Fund, but suggested that they apply for a mini grant. Additionally, the board suggested having all the district piano’s tuned for a volume discount in the future.

Our meeting adjourned at 10:27 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday January 20th at 8:30 AM.

PTA Roundup November 2016 The Halloween Costume Drive was a success. Thanks to Pam for organizing and Leah & Samantha for helping sort and distribute (my apologies if I’ve forgotten anyone who helped!) We already have a box of costumes donated from Toys R Us for next year! MS sized costumes are going to be needed again. If you have one you can donate – please hang on to it, or you can turn it in to the MS. They will store for next year. Report from MS: The Monster Ball had a good turnout, especially with younger grades. Movie Night was a big success. It was our 2nd year with one specifically for the MS and the attendance more than doubled. The film was Ghostbusters. Pizza and snacks were sold before and after the movie. We covered the expenses of the license of the film. Thanks to Andrea for organizing. Career Day is coming up after Thanksgiving. This year’s chair, Yvonne Ibelli has been doing a great job and has 34 confirmed speakers for the day. Two volunteers are needed to help out during the morning. If you are able to volunteer, please let Mitch or Yvonne know. The Recess Redesign Committee is still working hard: Bulbs planted this fall daffodil and Scilla. Keep a look out in March Raising fence at 4-Square (game for the children) so they stop popping and losing balls! Waiting on Board Approval to work with grounds dept, superintendent & architect/engineers for plans to resurface the rocky, dusty, muddy ball area. Report from WI: Front Garden – For years, Retired teacher, Trudy Dunbar has cared for the garden up front and has worked with the fifth grade students to plant in the spring. Trudy has retired from caring for the WI garden. Leah is still brainstorming with Mrs. Bretti about this. Is it possible to create a garden club to keep it going? PTA has always funded the planting. Instead of limiting the club to just 5th grade, the club can be open school wide. Leah is seeking a long term sustainable course of action to ensure the garden’s success annually. Any ideas? Please share. Book Fair- The book fair set up is scheduled for Tuesday, November 22. The fair will run the week of November 28th, with an evening event on Monday, 11/28. Circus – There is an effort to fundraise for the Circus school-wide this year. There is a walkathon scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving. The children have collected pledges and will do laps of the gym. (Or outdoors weather permitting.) They will also be doing the coupon book fundraiser that was done at the MS last year. It will be done at WI only, but if you do not have a child at WI and want a book, please let Jacki know. Fundraising: Wrapping paper – All deliveries have been received and have been distributed at the schools. If you hear that a parent has an issue with their order, please tell them they need to contact the company (Charleston Wrap) directly. Thanks to Donna for organizing and to all of the volunteers at the schools – Juliana, Tara, Amada, Leah, Nitasha, Samantha (my apologies if I have forgotten anyone who has helped!) We hope that you and your families have a very Happy Thanksgiving! We look forward to meeting with everyone at our next meeting on 12/16!

Managing Anxiety – 7 Strategies to Interrupt the Worry Cycle – a Rivertown Parents Presentation

RP_logo

 

Managing Anxiety – 7 Strategies to  Interrupt the Worry Cycle

Lynn Lyons, LICSW Psychotherapist Licensed Social Worker Author

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:00-9:00 p.m. Irvington High School / Middle School

Campus Community Presentation Room (CPR) in the Campus Library 40 North Broadway, Irvington, New York

FREE ADMISSION AND PARKING Open to all parents, and to students 12 years & older. Registration requested by 10/26 due to limited space. www.rivertownparents.com

rp-lynn-lyons-flyer-9-1

Halloween Costume Drive

pumpkin

The Tarrytown PTA’s annual costume drive for local kids in need begins Tuesday, October 11, 2016; we need your help gathering/donating costumes for the elementary and middle school kids! Sleepy Hollow is the Halloween capital of NY, but many of our local children can’t afford a costume; through your donations of new and gently used costumes, these kids get to celebrate in style. With your help last year we costumed about 150 elementary kids who wouldn’t otherwise get to dress up, and we can’t make it happen without a lot of help from 10591.

***WE NEED costumes for kids ages 5-13***; several of the teens fit into adult-sized outfits, and things like capes or other “pieces” (clean hats, wands etc) fit all shapes and sizes. We’re looking for costumes for both boys and girls, but this year we have an acute need for costumes for girls age 7-10, and both boys & girls teen/small adult sizes for the middle school.

We’d love your gently used costumes and/or if you’re out shopping and find something awesome to purchase & donate, it’ll be given a great home by a really appreciative kid.

WHERE: John Paulding Elementary School at 154 North Broadway – there’s a box in the lobby just waiting to be filled up!

WHEN: Oct 11-25

Thanks in advance for your help in making this another great holiday for all our town’s kids!

September 2016 PTA MINUTES

September 16, 2016 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Tara Schatzel

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Dancy Balestrieri

Kelley Anniccherico

Nitasha Kumar

Karina Arreola-Flores

Sheila Emery Murphy

Donna Gates

Pam Louis

Andrea Gottschall

Katie Scully

Lauren McBride

Fiona Galloway

Karen Kuhn

Christina Grillo

Thomas Lipping

Juilana Aloia

 

-Welcome and Intros:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:38 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. We went around the table and introduced ourselves, for the benefit of several new members that have joined and were in attendance. Jacki distributed the agenda, and a flyer for the board “7 Things Volunteers Hate”. Jacki also mentioned two upcoming events that will be presented at the middle school; “Study Skills Presentation” on September 27th for parents, as well as “Screenagers Presentation” on October 26th for parents and their children. Information about both presentations can be found on our website, http://www.horsemenpta.com.

 

-Budget:

Kelley distributed a hard copy of the budget. She also reviewed the Check-request reimbursement form as well as the Funds Received Sheet Form. Kelley explained to the board that she cannot receive funds without a filled out form. Kelley reminded the board to have all their receipts submitted before June 30, 2017 for reimbursement. Kelley, Angel and Jacki reviewed the budget line items with the board. If there is a line item that a board member wants added to the budget, Jacki advised them to bring the idea to the board for discussion. Jacki used the smart board to discuss our website sign-in and some of the resources and forms that are accessible on the site. Angel distributed and discussed the new middle school budget.

Review-Events, policies:

The board asked if funds aren’t used from a budget line item, can they be used elsewhere. Jacki and Angel explained that the idea needs board approval before funds can be reallocated. Jacki used the smart board to review our Horsemen website. She explained volunteer resources, photo day event checklists and other resources on the site that can be very helpful to board members. Angel and Jacki announced that this is their last year as co-presidents. They reminded that the PTA needs to keep a strong working relationship with the Board of Education, the school administration and the community. If there are any issues, they asked the board members to be discreet, and to please bring these issues before the board as quickly as possible while remaining respectful and diplomatic with all concerned parties.

Volunteers:

Tara is already working on the volunteer sign-up forms. Two back to school nights are already completed. She is working on the spreadsheet of the volunteers. Tara advised the board that sign-ups are stronger this year than last. Forms are still being submitted. Karina volunteered her help translating any forms for the board.

Fundraising:

Photo Day coordinators are needed at WI and JP.   Leah McVey agreed to help out. Amada and Nitasha volunteered to help chair the square one art fundraiser. Wrapping paper is underway, packets went out last week. The book fairs are all chaired. Jacki is looking for a co-chair at each school, including the MS.

School Updates:

JP VP’s will be setting up their principal meeting soon.

Morse elevator construction has been completed, and the VP’s met with Mr. Holland and had a very productive meeting. Morse VP’s mentioned the need for bus monitors and Angel suggested emailing the Board of Education so that this can be put on their monthly meeting agenda.

W.I. meets this week with the principal.

M.S. will set up their principal meeting next week.

Other Updates:

Jacki mentioned a mini-grant request from Ms. Garibaldi to the board for approval. Her previous grant has expired and Jacki asked the board to consider giving her a new one. Angel agreed to circle back and review other grant requests to make sure the board remains consistent before approving this grant.

The VP’s all agreed to try and get their principals and teachers to join the PTA.

Mitch gave a brief explanation of Rivertown Parents to the board.

Andrea advised the board that orders will be taken for Spirit Wear. However, this will not be done until after back to school nights this year. Spirit Wear is considering making school specific apparel this year.

Our meeting adjourned at 10:07 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday October 21st at 8:30 AM.   Speakers will be Mr. Chris Borsari, Superintendent and also the district Wellness Committee.

Study Skills Workshop for Parents

Free Parent Workshop

a workshop designed for middle and high school parents – but open to all!

logo-final.jpg

7 Ways To Support Your Student’s Study Practice

During this powerful one-hour presentation, parents will learn how to they can support their child

with seven tools and concrete ideas that can be implemented right away for better results and grades.

There is no charge for the program, but registration is requested. Bring a friend!

Tuesday, September 27

7:00 pm

Sleepy Hollow Middle/High School Auditorium

210 North Broadway | Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591

There is no charge for the program, but registration is requested:

More info: http://www.successfulstudyskills4students.com/tarrytown

Register: enroll.successfulstudyskills4students.com/enroll/tarrytown