PTA Minutes April 21, 2017

Attendees:

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Amada Reimundez

Dancy Balestrieri

Andrea Gottschall

Thomas Lipping

Jen Povman

Fiona Galloway

Sheila Emery Murphy

Lauren McBride

Kelley Anniccherico

Samantha Ford-Godette

Tara Schatzel

Leah McVey

-Welcome:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:36 A.M. by Angel.

-Fundraising & TASH initiative

Christina Grillo spoke with TASH (farmers market at Patriot Park). They are OK if Horsemen PTA sets up a table at their Saturday event in the spring and fall. Sheila, Nitasha and Christina will have a table with crafts and PTA membership forms (and other literature taken from Horsemen website) from the hours of 8:30-2PM. Please consider volunteering some time for this event. June 10th is the first date on the TASH calendar. High School students can receive community service credit for their volunteer efforts. Please email cdgrillo@gmail.com to volunteer. Jen Povman mentioned that she will stop by on June 10th to help out at the table.

Without a chair willing to run the “Bulbs” fundraiser, the board agreed to table this event for next year. Kelley mentioned that she will consider chairing this event next year.

-Rivertown Parents

On April 20th Rivertown Parents hosted a “Family Tinker Night” at Dobbs Ferry High School. A family learning program on all things science, designed for K-5 children and their parents. Our district is expected to host one event a year. Mitch will summarize a few ideas in an email, and the PTA board agreed to email feedback as well as any other ideas.

-WI Garden

Leah mentioned the need for volunteer gardeners. She and Tom will distribute a flyer in the WI backpack mail requesting volunteers. Westover landscape is under new ownership and will be working with WI to improve the garden. Leah mentioned the need for a master design garden plan. The budget has $400 allocated to the garden. The WI garden needs $250 for mulch, perennials, annuals etc. The board discussed approaching The Foundations for additional funding. Leah and Tom will have a discussion with Ms. Bretti and email the results to Jacki and Angel.

-PTA Planning:

Angel reminded the board to email their intentions for next year’s PTA to her and Jacki. We need a new president, Treasurer, and Secretary.

-Used Book Drive

There will be a used book drive in late May/early June. Jacki will send out a flyer asking for books and volunteers to sort.

-School Updates

-MS

Andrea advised that Spirit wear sales just closed. They will open again if orders exceed 12 items or more. 8th Grade students are currently on the Washington D.C. field trip.

-WI

There is a hiring process in progress at WI due to bigger incoming class sizes, resignations and maternity leaves.

 

-Morse

There were no Morse representatives available this month to discuss school updates.

-JP

ESL teacher Helen Sanchez-Zhu will be retiring at the end of this school year and JP is looking for a replacement. The Peabody Preserve field trip has been postponed numerous times due to inclement weather.

-Miscellaneous Questions/Discussions

Andrea Gottschall noted that mini-grant requests have been added to the High School’s future agenda.

Tara noted a drop-off in volunteer participation this year.

The board agreed that we need a new Horsemen PTA banner. The board also discussed the need to increase our membership numbers and the branding of Horsemen PTA. Next month’s agenda will include discussing some ideas to improve our overall memberships. The board suggested holding an event at the Kindergarten registration, such as a tea social for incoming parents/families.

Our meeting adjourned at 9:37 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday May 19th at 8:30 AM.

March 17, 2017 PTA Minutes

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Amada Reimundez

Dancy Balestrieri

Andrea Gottschall

Christina Grillo

Juliana Aloia

Thomas Lipping

Jen Povman

Fiona Galloway

Katie Scully

Nitasha Kumar

Sheila Emery Murphy

Karen Kuhn

Lauren McBride

Kelley Anniccherico

Samantha Ford

Pam Louis

Tara Schatzel

-Welcome:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:39 A.M. by Jacki.

-Budget:

Angel and Kelley distributed copies of a more comprehensive budget. We are waiting to hear from NY State PTA and or the IRS for the OK to roll the middle school budget into our overall budget. Kelley requested that checks be submitted for deposit within a week of your event (or receiving the checks) to avoid any bank fees for returned checks to our account. The board discussed and agreed that box top campaigns should continue to be administrated by each school, and not centralized to the PTA.

-PTA Planning:

Jacki asked the board to consider who will return. We need a new President, Treasurer, and Secretary. All volunteers please email Jacki/Angel. Dancy suggested adding a book fair chair position to the board.

-TASH Springtime Presence

Christina Grillo spoke with TASH (farmers market at Patriot Park). They are OK if Horsemen PTA sets up a table at their Saturday event in the spring and fall. Christina suggested a table with crafts, face painting and other games from the hours of 8:30-2PM. Please consider volunteering some time for this event. June 10th is the first date on the TASH calendar. High School students can receive community service credit for their volunteer efforts. Please email cdgrillo@gmail.com to volunteer.

-Fundraising

Donna has been researching a bulb/flower sale fundraiser. Samples from different vendors were passed around and Donna is working on deadline dates, minimum order requirements and other variables. “Flower-Power” vendor ships direct to customers, have a 10 day turnaround, and charges $6 for shipping and handling per order. Tara agreed to research other wrapping paper vendors since Innisbrook no longer provides this service. The board asked if there is an itemization of past wrapping paper results from Charleston Wrap to determine how much was raised from wrapping paper, and how much came from other merchandise. Donna agreed to request this information from our vendor. Donna was able to get this information from the vendor and it appears to be almost 50/50.

The board agreed to a wrapping paper campaign in the fall instead of Yankee Candle. The board agreed that a school supply fundraiser would be difficult to coordinate with the school supply needs/list and the profit margin wouldn’t be worthwhile. Amada suggested a mother/son dance event. Most board members agreed that a mother/son dinner might be better attended. Applebee’s and other restaurants are usually very helpful sponsoring these type events. Amada will look into this.

-Mini Grant

Thank you to Mitch for hosting our mini grant meeting. Approximately $4,500 was meted out in grants. We are waiting to hear from the district’s buildings and Grounds Dept. regarding outdoor play equipment on the East side of the JP building. Four grants were fully funded and four grants were partially funded this year, while managing to stay within our budget.

-School Updates

-MS

Andrea suggested that the middle school was considering creating separate school dances next year for the 6th graders vs. 7th and 8th graders. Spirit Wear is marketing new school specific t-shirts for the middle school, flyers will be distributed soon. If these items sell, Spirit Wear will probably expand the merchandise to include the other schools. The middle school received a new clothing (rolling) rack for the steaming of 8th grade graduation gowns.

-WI

The meeting for WI was postponed until next month due to snow days.

-Morse

Over $1,200 was raised by the Box tops challenge at Morse. An anonymous group donated funds to cover the unpaid school lunch balances at Morse. Thursday March 16th was Math Night, and the event was well attended and went well. Kindness month (March) is currently being emphasized by the staff at Morse. Trip around the community is coming up soon for Morse students.

-JP

The book fair finished up at JP and was very successful. Sales revenue exceeded $8,200 this year, creating a profit margin of more than $2,000. The PJ party was a success with arts and craft events, and volunteer readings. Thanks to Andrea for organizing the many student volunteers. And a huge thanks to Mrs. Barnett and the staff at JP for their support and help with the PJ party and book fair through out the week. The meeting for JP was postponed until next month due to snow days.

-Relay for Life

Jacki advised that this fundraising event is sponsored by the American Cancer Society and will be held June 3rd and 4th. It is an overnight event for the entire community. There are many volunteer opportunities, you can start a team, join a team, or support a team. People can attend the event without camping out if they prefer.

Our meeting adjourned at 10:21 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday April 21st at 8:30 AM.

February 17, 2017 PTA Minutes

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Dancy Balestrieri

Andrea Gottschall

Fiona Galloway

Christina Grillo

Juliana Aloia

Thomas Lipping

Phyllis Arduino

Elia Londono

Donna Gates

-Welcome and Intros:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:35 A.M. by Jacki.

-Budget:

Angel and Kelley were not in attendance; however, they have everything ready for our March meeting. Analysis of last year’s revenue and expenses show that we broke even. We won’t be looking to add new line items, and budget cuts should not be required if we keep expenses constant.

-Fundraising

There will be a brunch preview on March 14th hosted by Miss Chocolate, a possible new fundraising vendor. The board discussed Innisbrook vs. Charleston vendor, although no decision was finalized. Andrea G. suggested a plant/bulb sale, just not the same time as the wrapping paper campaign. Christina Grillo will speak with a representative of the TASH farmers market about getting Horsemen PTA a table. Phyllis suggested a new idea; “Summer in a Box”, a fundraising event that packages the sale of summer items such as flip-flops, sunscreen, hats, creams, and bathing suits.

-Calendar Overview

The calendar committee will be presenting to the Board of Education in March, to set up dates for next year’s school calendar. The options are similar to our current school year.

-Screenagers Recap and Finding Kind Trailer

Feedback was very positive from this well attended event. Parents and kids seemed to agree that it was a great conversation starter and everyone seemed to get a lot out of this very informative presentation. The same company that offered this event is now offering another video called “Finding Kind”.  Two friends travel across the country and expose the truth behind girl against girl bullying. Jacki showed the PTA board a preview video. Viewing of this video would be free, due to our purchase of “Screenagers”. PTA suggested opening it to Rivertown Parents and marketing the event through Girl Scouts. Andrea G. agreed to speak to Ardsley district concerning their opinion, and see if they have viewed/hosted this. The board discussed if it should only be shown in the evening, and whether to show it only to girls, or the coed population as well.

-School Updates

-MS

The book fair was held in the library this year. We are awaiting the results of a survey that was sent out for feedback. We are hoping to hold this event in the auditorium next year, due to a lack of space in the MS library. There are more than 180 students attending the D.C. trip this year. The trip is fully funded for students who need financial assistance. The board discussed having basic guideline requirements in place for scholarship assistance in the future. The middle school dance went well, and was well attended. The variety show was last night and any funds raised there will be going to the arts dept.

-WI

The blood drive will be held at WI on Thursday, March 2nd from 11:30 to 7:30 PM. The jump rope and Kid Stuff Coupon book events are currently in progress. A gardening plan/design is still needed. The principal chat helped explain that when the temperature is 25 or below, kids are kept inside. There are strict guidelines in place about kids not allowed to touch the snow and must stay on the black top when there is snow. Indoor recess is still in need of adult volunteers.

 

-Morse

Box tops challenge is currently underway, and the students are very involved as the competition heats up.

-JP

The principal chat was mostly concerning volunteers for the book fair. Juliana will submit her check for last year’s square 1 art to Kelley A.

The Mini-grant committee meeting will be rescheduled for Feb. 27th or March 1st.

Our meeting adjourned at 10:16 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday March 17th at 8:30 AM.

Screenagers Program Rescheduled

Inline image 1
Screenagers: Growing Up in the Digital Age and Panel Discussion has been rescheduled for Wednesday, 2/15/17 at 7:00 pm
The event on 2/15 will be held at the SHHS Auditorium, 210 N. Broadway, Sleepy Hollow.
If you have already registered, there is no need to do so again. If you have not already registered for the program but would like to do so, please register here.

Targeted to parents & their children, the documentary dives deep into how technology impacts children’s development and the challenges of parenting in the digital world. Through poignant and unexpectedly funny stories, along with surprising insights from authors, psychologists, and brain scientists, Screenagers reveals how much tech time impacts kids’ development and offers solutions on how adults can empower kids to best navigate the digital world and find balance.
It will be immediately followed a panel discussion moderated by Tarrytown Superintendent of Schools Chris Borsari. 
 
Panelists will include: 
Licensed Clinical Social Worker Amber da Silva, Irvington;
Jean O’Brien, Technology Specialist for the Tarrytown Union Free School District; 

and Amy Walsh, Social Worker for the Tarrytown Union Free School District.

 
 
 
Inline image 2  Inline image 3

January 20, 2017 PTA Minutes

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Dancy Balestrieri

Kelley Anniccherico

Andrea Gottschall

Fiona Galloway

Christina Grillo

Juliana Aloia

Sheila Emery Murphy

Thomas Lipping

Samantha Ford Godette

Karina Arreola-Flores

Tara Schatzel

Lauren McBride

 

-Welcome and Intros:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:42 A.M. by Jacki and Angel.

-Budget:

Kelley distributed a hard copy of the budget. Kelley and Angel are working on a new budget format, to be presented at next month’s meeting. The new format will show the admin expenditures in addition to how much was spent (by school) for prior year, as well as where we are this year.

-Fundraising

The book fairs at Morse and W.I. are finished. After netting, the results are very comparable to last year. Scholastic has provided feedback that much of the country is seeing a plateau in revenue from book fair fundraisers.

Square 1 program is in progress, and should be ready to have products in time for Mother’s Day.

Jacki and Angel asked the board to think about new fundraising ideas that might target a different audience/market. The board suggested targeting 3rd Friday with a booth that had kid activities, as well as a booth at the Farmers market in Patriot Park. The board suggested applying for a grant, as long as we choose a specific project. Lastly, a concession booth/bake sale at some town sporting events i.e.: TNT baseball, Tri-county basketball etc. These items will be added to our volunteer list for next season.

-Screenagers Update

A 1 hour and 10 minute documentary dealing with social media, gaming and screen time management followed by a panel discussion moderated by Superintendent Borsari with a Q&A session will be held Tuesday, January 31, 2017 beginning at 7:00 PM in the SHHS auditorium with Spanish subtitles. The event is funded by Horsemen PTA and will be free for the district attendees. Kids are welcome as long as they are with a parent or guardian, and preregistration will be required for this event. This event will be open to the Rivertown Parents partner districts as well. Jacki and Angel asked the board to please try and get the word out.

-Mini Grant Update

Grant request forms went out to the school principals. February 15th is the deadline for grant requests. The Mini grant committee meeting will be held on Friday February 17th immediately following our PTA meeting. The middle school agreed to keep the $500 mini-grant separate from other projects to build a reserve. Andrea, Mitch and Tom will discuss this with the middle school parents. Lastly, Jacki noted that grant recipients need to know that purchases/receipts have to be submitted quickly.

-School Updates

-MS

Andrea advised that since there has been an increase in the number of 8th grade students who need funding for the Washington D.C. trip, there are a number of upcoming events to help raise the funds.

-WI

Indoor recess is in need of more volunteers. Children have complained that they don’t always get to go outside. VP’s agreed to discuss this, as well as the policies regarding outdoor recess rules at the next principal’s chat.

-Morse

VP’s met with Mr. Holland last week. Safety seems to have improved, and the SH police have been randomly checking in. Box top challenge is ready to go next week. The children will be going on a trip to see Mary Poppins next week. The Morse Hi-5 program is changing to promote better behavior all the time, with all students receiving keychain reward to display on their backpacks, instead of Hi-5 bracelets as reminders.   Flooding issues at Morse were caused by tree roots breaking some underground pipes. These issues will be remediated by the village.

-JP

VP’s haven’t had their meeting yet with the principal. Their meeting is scheduled for Monday January 23rd.

 

Our meeting adjourned at 9:48 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday February 17th at 8:30 AM.

Screenagers Screening & Panel Discussion Rescheduled for 2/15

Now Rescheduled for Wednesday, 2/15

 REGISTER HERE

Horseman PTA  in partnership with Rivertown Parents present:

Screenagers: Growing Up in the Digital Age

 screenagers_instagram_post

Targeted to both parents & their children, this documentary dives deep into how technology impacts children’s development and the challenges of parenting in the digital world.  Through poignant, & unexpectedly funny stories, along with surprising insights from authors, psychologists, and brain scientists, SCREENAGERS reveals how much tech time impacts kids’ development & offers solutions on how adults can empower kids to best navigate the digital world and find balance.

 
 

Wednesday, February 15th
@7pm in the HS Auditorium

210 North Broadway, Sleepy Hollow

Panel Discussion Immediately Following the Screening:

Panelists include

Amber da Silva-Barron, LCSW, Irvington

Jean O’Brien, Technology Specialist – Tarrytown Union Free School District

Amy Walsh, Social Worker – Tarrytown Union Free School District

The Movie will have Spanish Subtitles. Panel Discussion after the screening will be translated.

Logo A RP_logo

December 16, 2016 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Dancy Balestrieri

Kelley Anniccherico

Nitasha Kumar

Donna Gates

Pamela Louis

Andrea Gottschall

Katie Scully

Fiona Galloway

Karen Kuhn

Christina Grillo

Juilana Aloia

Jen Povman

-Welcome and Intros:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:41 A.M. by Jacki and Angel.

-Budget:

Kelley distributed a hard copy of the budget. Kelley reminded the board to have all their receipts submitted from the class parent teas; JP vice presidents advised that they will make sure to submit them. Angel advised the board to be more budget conscious this year.

-District Communications Survey

Jacki reminded everyone to please respond to the survey. Dancy and Karina are on the committee. Dancy advised that there are more than 750 responses and Mr. Borsari is hoping for more. Karen Kuhn will add a link on our site that will direct candidates to the survey.

-Screenagers Update

A 1 hour and 10 minute documentary dealing with social media, gaming and screen time management followed by a panel discussion with Q&A session. This event will be held January 31, 2017 beginning at 7:00 in the SHHS auditorium with Spanish subtitles. The event is funded by Horsemen PTA and will be free for the district attendees. Kids are welcome as long as they are with a parent or guardian, and preregistration will be required for this event. This event will be open to the Rivertown Parents partner districts.

-Mini Grant Committee

This committee will meet at the end of January and is open to all to attend. The following list includes PTA board members interested; Katie Scully, Christina Grillo, Donna Gates, Jen Povman, Dancy Balestrieri, Pamela Louis, Amada Reimundez, Nitasha Kumar, Andrea Gotschall, Mitch Sylves-Berry, Angel Rafter, Leah McVey, and Jacki Geoghegan.

-Spirit Wear

Andrea advised the board that ordering will resume at the end of January for spring delivery. They are considering including school (building) specific merchandise.

-School Updates

-MS

Mitch advised that the middle school is working to improve communications between the school and the parents.

The Washington DC trip is currently under funded, specifically for scholarships. They are hoping the two school dances will help close the gap. Donna mentioned that Principal Lopez is looking for fundraising ideas to help. The board suggested a walkathon, concessions at school plays, bake sales and possibly selling video footage of school concerts to the district parents. Donna will bring these ideas back to Ms. Lopez for discussion.

Katie mentioned that the BOE is discussing fundraising for the creation of a better surface to replace the hardpan behind the middle school.

 

-WI

Book fair was a success with many volunteers and over $13,400 in sales. Many books went to kids in need. Many positive comments came in from parents and teachers regarding better book variety this year.

Fiona noted that safety vests are now worn by staff at recess & dismissal.

Indoor recess will begin in January and there is a need for parent volunteers. Nitasha suggested creating an email asking for volunteers for a 10 week program to oversee crafts, board games etc. Karen Kuhn agreed to post this on the horsemen website.

“Hour of code” was a success at WI 2 weeks ago.

Photo re-take went well and the security guard seems to be working out nicely.

W.I.’s “Trudy Garden” needs a new coordinator to help design a landscaping plan. Katie mentioned a sponsorship from a local landscape business. Other board members suggested asking volunteers from Kendall to help with the garden.

-Morse

Photo day went well, as they managed to stay ahead of schedule. Jacki advised VP’s to tell soliciting photographers that we are currently in a multi-year contract.

-JP

Nitasha and Juliana noted that the security desk has streamlined and organized their sign in system.

The wrapping paper fundraiser was a success. Unfortunately, backorders for all the schools went to JP. The VP’s agreed to work on better communication to avoid this happening in the future. Back orders should go directly to the parent/ordering party.

The JP Principal Fund was used to re-tune Ms. Garibaldi’s piano. The board denied increasing the Fund, but suggested that they apply for a mini grant. Additionally, the board suggested having all the district piano’s tuned for a volume discount in the future.

Our meeting adjourned at 10:27 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday January 20th at 8:30 AM.