Uncategorized

Spirit Wear Delivery Complete

Thank you to all of the families who participated in the Spirit Wear flash sale! All orders have now been delivered. Thank you also to the volunteers who safely picked up and delivered the orders to porches and front stoops throughout our villages.

We’ll take this opportunity to remind you that you can order Spirit Wear at any time of the year. (You just won’t be able to snag the prime prices we can coordinate as part of a group order.) Simply visit the “Spirit Wear” link in the navigation menu for this website to get started. Go, Horsemen!

Uncategorized

Announcing the 2020-21 PTA Executive Board Slate

The Horsemen PTA nominating committee would like to announce the following nominations for the 2020-21 school year Horsemen PTA executive board:

  • President – Christina Grillo (incumbent)
  • Vice Presidents – Alison Madrigal and Brenda Rodriguez
  • Secretary – Andrea Williamson (incumbent)
  • Treasurer – Maribel Correa (incumbent)

All members in good standing (paid 2019-20 school year dues) may vote in the election during the May 13 general meeting, which starts at 8:30 p.m. and will be conducted virtually over Zoom. Here is the dial-in information:

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89310267245?pwd=VUc3UmJ4UkpPTXpPbkNLeTNMejdXZz09

Meeting ID: 893 1026 7245

Password: 024668

Attendees may enter up to 15 minutes before the meeting start time if extra time is needed to learn this new technology.

Here is a video tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting:

https://youtu.xbe/hIkCmbvAHQQ

Uncategorized

Enter to Win Disney World tickets!

Watching a lot of Disney+ and dreaming of the Magic Kingdom?

Support our schools, and bring your dreams closer to reality.

Two families will each win a pack of five Disney World Park Hopper passes (valued at $800) in our drawing on Dec. 13. The passes are valid until Sept. 19, 2021.

Entries costs $10 for one and $25 for three.  Of course, all proceeds benefit the mission of the Horsemen PTA. Just click “Support the PTA” on any page of this website or go directly to our MemberHub store to get started. Scroll to the options to purchase Disney World Park Hopper ticket entries. Please purchase your entries by the Dec. 12 deadline.

Disney Parks and Points of Light gifted the passes to Horsemen PTA as part of their joint program to reward family volunteerism. Horsemen PTA submitted last April’s town clean-up event as our volunteer project. Families who participated received free entries in the drawing.

75196441_2778414095575741_5100018237999939584_o

75199908_2778414102242407_6026930033686216704_o

Uncategorized

Don’t miss the Family Picnic this Saturday, June 15!

Join us in Pierson Park this Saturday, June 15, from 12-3 p.m. as we partner with The Foundation for the Public Schools of the Tarrytowns to throw a family picnic! Bring a picnic lunch or plan to take advantage of a selection of several food trucks. There will be a free concert by Pablo Mayor and the ArtsLatino NY ensemble, face painting, bubbles and more.

Swing by the Foundation and the Horsemen PTA information tables to learn more about what we do for TUFSD.

Free GoGo SqueeZ pouches and an opportunity to buy raffle tickets for two American Girl dolls will be available at the PTA table.

There will also be a station dedicated to the Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow Basics program, which is funded in part by the Foundation, for our youngest future Horsemen.

Finally, we’re proud to announce both the New York State PTA and National PTA will be joining us.

The New York State PTA is providing Horsemen PTA a free “Every Child Travels Safely” event, funded by a grant from the Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee. There will be packets of safety take home materials in English and Spanish for families, as well as free safety giveaways and snacks. Bring your bike or scooter by!

National PTA selected the Horsemen PTA to pilot a healthy lifestyles program they are developing for next year. Stop by two hydration “education stations” to sample infused water, take home a fun recipe (English and Spanish available) for the summer and even play a game for a chance to win a voucher for one free wristband to next winter’s PTA ice skating fundraiser. Horsemen PTA is receiving a $1,000 donation for hosting the pilot, so please stop by to participate and give your feedback!

To volunteer, please contact horsemenptany@gmail.com. We have a variety of volunteer opportunities still available, and we need your help to make this exciting community event successful!

See you at Pierson!

(rain location: Sleepy Hollow Middle School gym)

The Foundation for the Public Schools of the Tarrytowns
No photo description available.
Uncategorized

TUFSD Holding a Prospective Parent Meeting

Please join the Tarrytowns United Free School District administration tomorrow, Wednesday, June 12 from 9:30-10:30 a.m. in the all-purpose room at John Paulding School to learn more about our schools.

The prospective parent meeting, “Getting to Know the Tarrytown Schools,” will be an informational session that covers kindergarten through grade 12 with a focus on the experience in the elementary schools.

John Paulding School

154 North Broadway

Tarrytown, NY 10591

Uncategorized

Clean up Main Street with PTA

Join the PTA outside of A NU Toy Store on Saturday, April 27, any time between 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Kids and adults can help clean up the Main Street area. Gloves, bags and site suggestions will be provided.

Free GoGo SqueeZ pouches will be provided for participating. There will also be a bake sale table for an extra sweet treat after the hard work is done.

A NU Toy Store
16 Main Street
Tarrytown

Thank you to GoGo SqueeZ for their donation!

Grab and Go with GoGo SqueeZ, the perfect complement to any lunchbox! The all – natural yumminess in a pouch.  GoGo SqueeZ is available in a variety of great flavors for every taste bud. The original applesauce pouch! 100% natural fruit! A healthy on-the-go snack!

New Yogurtz! from GoGo SqueeZ.  All Natural shelf stable YogurtZ in a pouch. the perfect complement to any breakfast or lunchbox! All – natural yumminess in a pouch.  GoGo SqueeZ YogurtZ is available in 3 great flavors for every taste bud. A healthy on-the-go snack!

www.gogosqueez.com
Facebook.com/gogosqueez
Twitter.com/gogosqueez

Instagram – @gogosqueez
Instagram – @blastZ

GoGo SqueeZ logo

Uncategorized

Chess Club forms due Jan. 18

Did you know the Horsemen PTA administers a lunchtime chess enrichment program at W. L. Morse and Washington Irving schools? The spring 2019 program begins Wednesday, Jan. 23.

Registration forms are due by Friday, Jan. 18. Students are accepted on a first come, first served basis. Scholarships available. Please visit our Lunchtime Chess Club page for more information and to download a registration form. Checkmate!

Meeting Minutes, Uncategorized

Horseman PTA Meeting Minutes – September 8, 2017

Attendance
Amada Reimundez – President
Andrea Gottschall – VP, 8th grade/Spirit Wear
Angel Rafter – VP, 8th grade
Ben O’Connell – VP, Kindergarten
Christina Grillo – VP, 2nd grade
Dancy Balestrieri – VP, 3rd grade
Daphne Uviller – VP, 4th grade
Donna Gates – VP, 7th grade
Elia Londono – VP, 4th grade
Fiona Galloway – VP, 5th grade
Julianna Aloia – VP, 1st grade
Karina Arreola – VP, 4th grade
Lauren McBride – VP, 1st grade
Leah McVey – VP, 5th grade
Mitch Sylves-Berry – Parent Ed/Rivertown Parents
Nitasha Kumar – VP, 6th grade
Phyllis Arduino – Membership
Samantha Ford – VP, Kindergarten
Sara Scipioni – VP, Kindergarten
Tara Schatzel – VP, 4th grade
Laura Richardson – Box Tops Fundraiser
Sheila Murphy – VP, 2nd grade

Meeting called to order. Introductions.

Thanks to everyone who helped at Morse’s Back to School Night last night.

STAFFING AND EVENT SCHEDULE

Photo Day
Leah McVey will be point person with the photography company for the elementary schools.
JP and Morse – Recruiting
WI – Leah McVey

Book Fair
Dancy Balestrieri will be point person with Scholastic for all schools.
JP: Samantha Ford
Morse: Christina Grillo
WI: Will recruit at Back to School Night
SHMS: Dancy Balestrieri

Wrapping Paper
Donna Gates will be point person with the wrapping paper company for all schools.
JP: Sara Scipioni
Morse: Alison and Sheila Murphy
WI: Leah McVey and Tara Schatzel
SHMS: Angel Rafter

  • The flyers are awaiting approval with the superintendent’s office. Once they are approved, Donna will put the packets together for delivery October 20.
  • Fundraiser will run from Oct 20-Nov 3. Purchases can be made online.
  • The merchandise will be delivered to the schools on December 7. Each school will receive its own delivery.
  • Donna will write a detailed email to each Wrapping Paper Chair in the coming weeks.

Square 1 Art
JP: Recruit at Back to School Night
Morse: Lauren McBride
WI: Amada Remundez

  • Ms. Barrett asked the chairs need to send an email reminder to the art teachers.
  • We will start thinking about this event more in December.

Chess Club

  • Amada Remundez will serve as point person with the chess company for Morse and JP.
  • Individual coordinators are needed for each school.

Spirit Wear
Andrea Gottschall is the coordinator for all schools.
JP: Christina Grillo will send volunteer information to Andrea when it is all compiled.
Morse: Nitasha Kumar
WI: Leah McVey.

  • We will need volunteers to sell Spirit Wear at the various school events, such as Book Fairs, Back to School nights, movie nights.
  • High school kids should be available to do this as part of their community service hours.

Class Parent Teas
Budgets for the teas were confirmed as follows:
JP: $250.00
Morse: $75.00
WI: $75.00

Back to School Nights

  • Dates were reviewed.
  • Need to recruit new volunteers.
  • VPs from other schools should try and attend events to staff tables for the home school’s VPs while they are in the class meetings.
  • Sign-up sheets for JP and WI were passed out for review. WI sheets have been returned to Christina for small corrections. JP will email any corrections to Christina before their Back to School Night.
  • We need volunteers for the WI and JP Back to School Nights.
  • Andrea will do Spirit Wear at WI. The Boy and Girl Scouts will also have tables there.
  • The Middle School only hosts a Membership Table at their Back to School Night. Amada will send out a reminder email before each Back to School Night.

MEETING SCHEDULING

VP Reminders

  • All VPs should check their PTA mailboxes.
  • All VPs should set up a meeting schedule with their respective Principal.

PTA Meeting Schedule

  • We will start having evening PTA meetings to accommodate people who work during the day.
  • We will alternate – one month we will have a morning meeting, the next an evening meeting.
  • Right now we are considering Mondays at 7 pm for the evening meetings.

Superintendent Meetings

  • The first PTA/Superintendent meeting will take place on Wednesday, 9/20 at 1 pm.
  • VPs will rotate attending this meeting.

TREASURER REPORT

All check requests and financial matters should be sent to Fatima using the following treasurer-specific email address: tufsdtreasurer@yahoo.com.

Reimbursement Procedure:

  • Forms are on the Horseman PTA web site.
  • Reimbursements should be submitted with receipts to Fatima Gianni, Treasurer, as soon as possible after the event.

Budget and Financial Forms Update

  • We don’t have a printed budget yet, but it is coming.
  • Fatima is in the process of updating all the online financial forms on the website.

OTHER DISCUSSION

Halloween Costume Drive

  • VPs need to think about the Halloween costume drive, as Pamela is not directing it this year.
  • Each school should think about making a flyer.
  • The point person for each school will need to work with the social worker to coordinate the distribution of the costumes.

Middle School Movie Night – November 3

  • May sell pizza again as a fundraiser as it was successful last year.
  • Not sure if they will let the students vote to pick the movie, or if they will just pick the movie.
  • The movie night is for middle school students only.

Selection Committee Training
Please remind parents about the Selection/Hiring Committee Trainings.

Information Sharing

  • During the WI VP meeting, Mrs. Bretti asked how the information VPs receive from the principals during these meetings is shared with the greater parent population.
  • Monthly updates should be forwarded to Karen as part of the minutes on the website.
  • We should have Jean O’Brien include this information as part of her Sunday night email blasts. The blast should include a link to the PTA website.
  • Add the PTA web site address to all flyers.
  • We are going to try and have more teachers join the PTA and attend our meetings.
  • Need to find the PTA Facebook page admins to update them and start using the page for regular updates.
  • We will consider setting up VP-specific email addresses next year. For example: Morse@tufsd.org. This email address would be passed down from year to year, to make it consistent.

Swagat
Nitasha mentioned that Swagat will participate in a program which would donate a portion of a night’s proceeds to the Horseman PTA. We should find out more information about the collection and distribution of funds.

TaSH

  • Sept. 9 event was canceled due to lack of volunteers.
  • We will reschedule for September 30.
  • We will sell Spirit Wear and distribute membership forms.
  • Christina will send out the sign-up genius as we get closer.
Uncategorized

June 15, 2017 PTA Minutes

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Dancy Balestrieri

Thomas Lipping

Leah McVey

Christina Grillo

Pamela Louis

Phyllis Arduino

Nitasha Kumar

Donna Gates

Amada Reimundez

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Jen Povman

Andrea Gottschall

 

-Welcome/TASH update

Our meeting was called to order at 8:37 A.M. by Angel. Christina Grillo gave a summary of the PTA’s 1st TASH representation last Saturday at Patriot Park. A table was manned with flyer hand-outs and crafts for children. Foot traffic was light, perhaps due to spring sports practices. PTA agreed to try and keep a presence at TASH this fall. Jen Povman agreed to help man our table. Christina said she will sign us up again for a table in September. The board suggested selling spirit-wear at these events. Christina also agreed to send an email reminder in August to the board to help represent at our table in September.

-Rivertown Parents Update

Mitch Sylves-Berry reminded Christina and all board members that all registered PTA members have access to the email distribution list of Rivertown Parents. Mitch noted the following upcoming Rivertown events: Tinker night, kid’s money management workshop, a college transition seminar, and a mental health presentation that will be hosted by Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow.

-PTA Branding

The board agreed on focusing their efforts on branding, getting more recognition in the community for our PTA. Some ideas included posting pictures on our horsemen website, utilizing Jean O’Brien’s email blasts more frequently, creating a position on the board for nursery school representative. The rep could attend nursery school events and inform new parents how PTA works. Members of the board also suggested that chairpersons of past events post various tips and protocol procedures of said events on our website as guidelines for new chairpersons in future years. Phyllis Arduino has agreed to attend and represent PTA at certain events this summer, for example, Shakespeare in the Park. If 3rd Friday should return, the board agreed to get a table at this event.

-School Updates

JP-Nitasha Kumar said they had their last principal meeting. She mentioned that PTA wants to be a part of the prek/k registration next calendar year at JP. Fun day is all set for June 21st. Registration for kindergarten was moved up to January and February (earlier than last year).

Morse- Dancy Balestrieri mentioned that field day was last Friday June 9th, and all leftover food was donated to the Life Center in Sleepy Hollow, with thanks to Christina for coordinating a wonderful day! Dancy spoke with Principal Holland and they agreed he would address bullying and specifically social media bullying at Morse. Dancy mentioned to Mr. Holland the idea of having a Morse PTA representative present at any principal/parent meetings if the parent wished. The PTA’s position regarding this issue is to suggest to any affected parties the appropriate chain of command to follow with instances of concern. Parents should always advocate for the child by keeping the lines of communications open with teachers first, and if necessary, escalate up the chain of command at the appropriate school and ultimately with the district superintendent. Jen Povman and other board members suggested a statement be included at back to school night regarding all bullying.

WI- Field day will be tomorrow June 15th and they are hoping for more volunteers to help out at the event.

MS- The middle school transition committee met yesterday to discuss new ideas to help children make the transition from WI to MS more smoothly. The committee hopes to meet with the new MS principal in July. Pam suggested putting some bullet points on the horsemen PTA website to help parents and kids with their transition.

-PTA Board Position Planning

Jacki Geoghegan distributed a printout of the latest PTA board positions for next calendar year. She advised the board that she received some email responses for possible volunteers for next year. She suggested to the appropriate board members to follow up with these individuals.

-Miscellaneous

The board agreed that the wrapping paper fundraiser will continue next year, the board needs to select the best vendor for this event.

Pam noted that we still could use some more Halloween costumes for this October. She suggested mentioning this costume drive at our TASH table in September.

Pam and a few others suggested forming a committee to bring together all of our community fundraisers for better planning and cooperation; a calendar meeting of sorts that would reduce redundancy and hopefully eliminate the feeling of fundraising fatigue in our community.

In conclusion, Jacki and Angel thanked all board members for their tireless efforts during their tenure as co-presidents. Of special note, Paul Pirozzi, Kelley Anniccherico, Thomas Lipping and Katie Scully, who will be retiring from their positions this year. Donna Gates led the board in thanking Jacki and Angel for all of their hard work as co-presidents, and presented them with gift cards and flowers as a token of the board’s appreciation.

Our meeting adjourned at 9:55 AM