Uncategorized

April 15, 2016 Meeting Minutes

April 15, 2016 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Tara Schatzel

Donna Gates

Andrea Gottschall

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Senia Sakarya

Dancy Balestrieri

Maribel Palacios-Perez

David Neilsen

Katie Scully

Jen Bayliss

Pamela Louis

Fiona Galloway

Karina Arreola

Kelley Anniccherico

Paula Thaler

Jennifer Povman

 

-Welcome and Budget Presentation by Board of Ed:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:35 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. Dr. Dan McCann and Mr. John Staiger presented the 2016-2017 Tarrytown UFSD budget to the PTA board with a brief Q&A session that followed.  The presentation was aided by Ms. Pam Rourke, Dr. Debbie Hand as well as a few other representatives from the Buildings Committee and included the Board’s academic goals, a school by school staffing breakdown, and a discussion regarding future planning in the district.  Budget adoption by the Board will be April 19th and the public hearing will be Thursday, May 5th.  The budget vote will be held on May 17th, and the PTA board agreed with Dr. McCann to reach out to parents in the community to vote.

 

-Relay Team

Jacki advised the PTA board that a team leader is needed to represent the PTA team for the Relay for Life fundraiser being held the weekend of June 10th.

-Fundraising

Donna met with a representative of the Charleston Wrapping Paper Co. and handed out some sample brochures to be reviewed by the board. Each school will run their own campaign, similar to photo-day.  The board agreed to choose a wrapping paper event instead of Yankee Candle.  Donna created and distributed a 2016-2017 Fundraising schedule, with a table of events and a contact info section to be utilized for the next school year.  The board also discussed whether we should continue or drop the Holiday Pie event.  Some feel it is a lot of work for little return, while others agreed it provides a useful service to the community.  No decision was made here.

Mitch talked about a Scrips Gift Certificate buying program that could be run in the spring of 2017. This program averages 4-13% returns and is a great idea for school supplies and/or teacher gift ideas.  The board agreed this could be something to try, but we would need someone to chair this new event.

-Digital Safety Event

Jacki summarized the digital safety event that was held on April 12th.  30 people signed up for the event, and a follow up event will happen soon (May 4).  There is a comprehensive section regarding Digital Safety under the “Parent” tab of our school district website.  This was created by Jean O’Brien and contains links and video presentations.  More tips on digital safety will be included in Jean’s weekly email blasts.

-PTA Planning

Jacki asked the board members to contact her or Angel to advise if you are planning to continue on the PTA Board for next year. We need to start looking to fill roles for those who will not continue on.

-Movie night

Jackie and Andrea noted that movie night will be Friday, April 29th.  Andrea mentioned that there will be a concession stand set up outside the auditorium.   The children will be voting from “Jurassic World”, “Guardians of the Galaxy”, or “Star Wars” at the MS. At the same time, there will be one at the elementary schools with a concession outside the auditorium at WI. The movie choices are “Minions”, “Inside Out” and one more choice. The children are voting.

-Blood Drive

Donna Gates advised the board that the blood drive will be held Thursday, April 28th in the W.I. cafeteria.  Donna requested that if anyone can volunteer their time to please send her an email.

-WI Play funding

Pam Louis expressed her concern that there are children involved in the WI play whose parents are unable to afford a ticket to watch their child perform the night of the play. The board agreed to create a stipulation next year in regards to funds budgeted for the Y, as long as the Y set aside a certain number of tickets to accommodate such families. Help identifying these students should come from the WI Principal, Assistant Principal and/or the WI Social worker. Given the length of time from tryouts to performance, this should be a realistic amount of time to identify such families.

-Game night/screen free week

Donna Gates advised the board that May 2- May7th will be “screen free” week in the district. Donna noted that May 3rd, WI would like to hold a family game night in the cafeteria from 6-7:30 PM.  Donna needs at least 5 volunteers to help out.  The board suggested that game night be moved to Thursday May 5th because May 3rd there will be a math program update event for the parents being held at the middle school.

-Budget

Kelley reminded everyone that June 30th is the cut-off for receipts to be handed in for expense reimbursements.  Jacki asked the VP’s to review budget line items and allocation amounts and email any new ideas/amounts to Kelley.

-Jacki (misc. items)

Jacki advised the board that the spring luncheons are all covered this year by chair people.

Jacki distributed two flyers to the board, and asked the board to look at both websites. When viewing the website, the board should consider if we should show the documentary to parents and students next year, and should the PTA host the parent workshop. The first flyer is for a documentary called “Screenagers” created by physician/filmmaker Delaney Ruston.  This film takes a personal approach and probes into the amount of time kids spend in front of video screens, and all of the problems that can ensue.  The film offers solutions on how adults can empower their kids to best navigate the digital world and help find balances.  The website is www.screenagersmovie.com/about/. The board after reviewing the flyer, thought that this is something important that can benefit everyone and we should proceed in scheduling this. We are looking at mid-late October dates.

 

The second flyer is for a parent workshop that is targeted to both middle and high school parents. Jacki thought this might also be appropriate for 5th grade too. This would be 1 hour, it is information based and an interactive session designed to give parents the practical tools they need to best support their child’s study practices at home.  The website is www.successfulstudyskills4students.com/. The board after reviewing the flyer and short discussion thought this is something that many parents are looking for help with and we should proceed in scheduling this. We are looking at late September dates.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:54 A.M. our next meeting will be Friday, May 13th.

Uncategorized

February 26, 2016 PTA Meeting

February 26, 2016 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Tara Schatzel

Donna Gates

Andrea Gottschall

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Leah Mc Vey

Jen Povman

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Senia Sakarya

Dancy Balestrieri

Maribel Palacios-Perez

Karina Arreola

Paula Thaler

-Welcome and Budget:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:37 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. Kelley advised the board that there were no changes in the budget.  Dancy asked if Kelley could change the Morse Class Parent tea line item to the Box Top celebration, Jacki explained that we could do it this year, but if we wanted to add Box Top Celebration to the budget permanently, we would have to vote on adding it as a budgeted item.  Subsequently, Dancy mentioned that Friday February 26th was the last day to submit box tops receipts.  Kelley and Jacki asked the middle school VP’s to draft a budget with specific event line items, similar to the other schools.  Kelley, Jacki and Angel agreed to help the VP’s create their budget items.  Lastly, Jacki and Kelley reminded everyone that receipts must be submitted for reimbursement before the last day of June for tax reasons.

-Fundraising:

Donna Gates advised that square one artwork was mailed out for the 3 schools yesterday. The work is expected back in 2 to 3 weeks at which point order forms will be sent home.  The wrapping paper event brought in over $11,000 this year, including money that was raised at the middle school.  Donna suggested switching to Yankee Candle next year, since this event hasn’t been used since the 2010-2011 school year.  The board discussed the possibility of doing two events next year, keeping the wrapping paper fundraiser and perhaps adding another event for February.  Amada, Dancy, Angel, Andrea Gottschall and Jacki agreed to come up with other fundraising ideas for February 2017 and to discuss them with the board at our next meeting in March.  Donna also agreed to break down the previous year’s wrapping paper sales between the kitchen items that were sold and the wrapping paper goods so we could get an idea of what was the bigger seller.  Jen Povman said that she would ask other river towns for some new ideas regarding fundraising events.

-Mini grant recap:

Jacki advised the board that there was $5,500 in mini grant funds to distribute. There was more than $12,000 in mini grant requests this year in our district.  The program did its best to try and give something to everyone.  There was a lot of positive feedback and appreciation from the beneficiaries of this year’s mini grants.  Jacki distributed email samples from various teachers and administrators in the district with specific examples of the many good things to come from the grants.  The board agreed to allocate more money to the mini-grant program to accommodate the addition of the middle school, with that portion coming from the MS budget.

-Cyber Safety/Security Presentations for Middle School students and adults:

Tuesday March 8th from 7 to 8:30 a presentation will be given by Thomas Grimes, a 20 year veteran detective with the New York City Police Department.  The presentation will provide parents with an explicit understanding of what children and teens are doing every day online, and how to help keep them safe.  The event is open to the public, for adults only and Spanish translation will be available.  Jacki has requested each board member to tell 5 of their friends about this event. It is expected that all PTA Board Members will attend this event.  A child-friendly version of the event is being given to middle school students during the day in early March.  A flyer will go out in backpack mail with the ability for your child to opt-out upon parental request.

-School Updates:

MS-The middle school advised that an anonymous incident reporting form was created and posted on the school website. This report was created to help improve communications and feedback between the students and school administration.  Principal Lopez and Assistant Principal Engelhardt have been set up as administrators and will be monitoring activity.  A second school dance event is being considered for the middle school this year, possibly April 1st.  Approval was given for a movie night at the middle school this spring.  Students will be voting for a movie soon.  The board agreed that the middle school should consider making their movie night the same as W.I. (April 29th), and including a bake sale/fundraiser.

WI-Donna advised the board that WI is busy with their play, March Math Madness, Circus night, and concert preparation. Donna will be meeting with Principal Bretti to discuss the March 12th Math Madness event.  Tara agreed to send Donna an email of the volunteers for this event.

Morse-Trip around the community planning will begin in early March. VP’s had their meeting with Mr. Holland recently and there was a lot of talk about drop off and pick up safety.  The village board has been very cooperative in trying to improve conditions.  March 8th the board will be holding a hearing at 7PM.  The PTA board suggested asking the town to move this hearing due to it conflicting with the middle school cyber safety night.  The new crossing guard has been in place for 1 week and unfortunately there are still violators, many believe there should be a police officer in place to enforce the traffic laws.  The board suggested trying to get photos of the violations as they happen to bring to the village board’s attention.  Tara asked if we could create a welcome packet for new families that move in to our district.  Jacki agreed that this should be discussed with the new superintendent. Something had been started with our previous superintendent; the PTA provided documentation for a program, but with the change in administration it was dropped.

JP- The book fair kicks off the week of March 7th.  Monday night will be bedtime stories with milk and cookies from 6-8PM.  JP still needs some high school volunteers to help out with this event. Andrea Gottschall is trying to round up some HS volunteers.

-Other Updates:

Andrea advised that there is still a lot of spirit wear inventory, especially t-shirts.

Jacki explained that calendar option “B” was being sent to the BOE for the next school year.

Jacki distributed a flyer from the Dobbs Ferry school district and PTSA. They will be presenting a screening and panel discussion titled “Most Likely to Succeed” on March 9th at 7 P.M. at the Dobbs Ferry High School at 505 Broadway.  This presentation is free and open to the public.

Jen Povman announced that Rivertown Parents will be hosting a seminar on organization and time management strategies April 19th from 7:30-9 P.M. at the Dobbs Ferry Middle School  called “Do you Know Where Your Homework is?”

Our meeting was adjourned at 10:12 AM; our next meeting is scheduled for March 18th.

Uncategorized

January 22, 2016 PTA minutes

January 22, 2016 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Jenn Bayliss

Elia Londono

Senia Sakarya

Dancy Balestrieri

David Neilsen

Fiona Galloway

Maribel Palacios-Perez

Karina Arreola

Katie Scully

Pam Louis

Leah Mc Vey

 

-Welcome and Introductions:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:34 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. Jacki began by introducing Katie DiVenuto, a representative from The American Cancer Society.  Katie spoke about “Relay for Life of The Tarrytowns” which will be taking place this June 11th at the Sleepy Hollow High School.  “Relay for Life” is the American Cancer Society’s signature fundraising event.  Katie explained that fundraising teams begin registering for the event in January and February.  Typically, high school students form their own teams for the event.  Statistics show that 1 in 9 students put this event on their college applications.  The event will kick- off at 7PM on June 11th with entertainment and activities.  This is an overnight event that will include a remembrance of loved ones and a celebration of survivors and their care-givers.  Katie showed the Board a brief video of past events.  Katie mentioned that there is a demand for event and pre-event volunteers.  Pam asked how our district can get the kids more involved.  Jacki advised that they were meeting with the HS Monday to begin discussing logistics, and this topic will be addressed.    An informational meeting will be held February 24th with more details.

-Mimi Godwin President of The Board of Education was in attendance and spoke briefly. Ms. Godwin advised the PTA that an announcement will be made by the end of February regarding our new district Superintendent.  The effective starting date for this position will be July 1, 2016.  Ms. Godwin also announced that the search for a new High School principal will continue with the new Superintendent.

-Membership

According to David Neilsen, PTA membership is up slightly from this time last year.

-Thank You and Recognition

Jacki advised the board that thank you letters have been received from the YMCA for the PTA contribution to fund the WI Play, Open Door for our help in getting the word out about the holiday toy drive, and from Morse School thanking the PTA for the Coat Drive. Special mention was made to the laundromat on John Street in Tarrytown for laundering all of the coats that were donated to the drive.

-Cyber Safety/Security Presentations for students and adults

Jacki Geoghegan, Jean O’Brien, Dancy Balestrieri and Karina Arreola attended a presentation on this subject made at another district by NY’s Finest Speakers. A sample information sheet was distributed to the board.  The following week, Jacki, Jean, Karina and Jen Povman attended a different one presented at another district, made by a Westchester ADA. After viewing the two presentations, the group felt that the one by NY’s Finest Speakers was a better fit for our district. The presentation will be given to the MS students. It will be a town hall format from 1 hour to 90 minutes on March 8, 2016.  An “opt-out” option will be provided for parents who feel their children aren’t ready for this presentation.  There will be an evening session offered for all parents in the district.

-Box Tops for Education

Dancy advised the board that Laura Richardson will be organizing the box-top contest with a pizza party competition at Morse. The board agreed that they will use the class parent tea budgeted funds to help finance the competition.  Additionally, the principal at Morse will be speaking to the VP’s about the Morse drop-off policy.  Mr. Holland also wants to discuss the best possible way to communicate with the Spanish speaking community/parents at Morse.

-Chess Club

Maribel advised that the winter session for chess club begins on February 3rd.  There are 8 sessions per term at a cost of $1,200 per class.  There are still many open spots across all grades.  Maribel mentioned that she will send out a form advising parents that funds will be rolled over to the next term for classes that don’t have enough members.  Jen Bayliss suggested, and the board agreed that Jean O’Brien should send one last email for signup to the club.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:58 AM; our next meeting will be Friday, February 26th.

Uncategorized

December 14, 2015 Special Vote/Meeting

Attendees:

  1. Jacki Geoghegan
  2. Angel Rafter
  3. Paul Pirozzi
  4. Jennifer Bayliss
  5. Mitch Sylves-Berry
  6. David Neilsen
  7. Donna Gates
  8. Katie Scully
  9. Maribel Palacios-Perez
  10. Senia Sakarya
  11. Tara Schatzel
  12. Karina Arreola
  13. Andrea Gottschall
  14. Leah Mc Vey
  15. Paula Thaler
  16. Kelley Anniccherico
  17. Fiona Galloway
  18. Greg Galloway
  19. Dancy Balestrieri
  20. Jhoanna Segarra
  21. Pamela Louis
  22. Melissa Eisele-Kaplan
  23. Ginny Williams
  24. Amada Molina-Reimundez
  25. Andrea Harrison

Our meeting was called to order at 8:13 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. Board member Mitch Sylves-Berry motioned to merge the middle school P.T.A. into our elementary P.T.A., thereby creating one PreK-8th grade P.T.A. unit.  Dancy Baliesteri seconded the motion.  Donna Gates voiced her belief that this would create unity, as well as one P.T.A. resource for the elementary school community.  Pam Louis mentioned that the result would be a more cohesive board.  Maribel stated that the new structure would create ease of communication within the board.  David Neilsen called a vote on this issue.  The result of the vote: 25 Yeas and no oppositions.

Mitch motioned to rename the E.P.T.A. unit to Horsemen P.T.A., within IRS regulations and guidelines. Kelley Anniccherico seconded the motion.  David mentioned that this name change is necessary because with the merge, we are no longer simply an elementary P.T.A. unit.  Jen Bayliss stated that the name change would be more reflective of our community.  Kelley, our treasurer, advised the board that the merge and name change would be easier from an accounting perspective.  Leah Mc Vey called for a vote for the name change.  The result of the vote: 25 Yeas and no oppositions

The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 AM; our next meeting will be Friday, December 18th.

Uncategorized

December 18, 2015 Meeting

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Jenn Bayliss

Donna Gates

Elia Londono

Nitasha Kumar

Senia Sakarya

Kelley Anniccherico

Andrea Gottschall

Mitch Sylves Berry

Dancy Balestrieri

 

-Welcome and Budget Items:

Our meeting was called to order at 8:45 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. P.T.A. treasurer Kelley Anniccherico advised the board members to get their expense receipts in from all past events.  All principal funds have been distributed.  Jacki explained to the board what the V.P. Fund is, and gave some examples of how it could be used. She also gave the VP’s discretion, Angel added that we should try and get creative with some fundraising ideas, since the fund is there in our budget.  Jacki mentioned that she, Angel and Kelley will need to work with the MS VP’s to set up a middle school budget with specific line-items.  Donna Gates volunteered to help out in a treasury capacity for the middle school next year. Angel noted that we will have one treasurer for the group, but would welcome help for the MS.

-Mini Grants

Jacki asked for someone representing each school to distribute copies of mini-grant applications. February 1st is the deadline to request mini-grants.  February 15th is the deadline to let applicants know if they were approved for a mini-grant.  The following board members agreed to volunteer with Jacki and Angel to help determine which applicants will be approved for a grant: Leah Mc Vey, Dancy Balestrieri, Andrea Gotschall, Mitch Sylves-Berry, Nitasha Kumar, Elia Londono and Senia Sekarya.  Jacki suggested that they should prioritize grant approval based on ideas that benefit the largest group of children.  This group will meet to distribute the $5,000 set aside for grants after the grant deadline of 2/1/16. The elementary VP’s took the applications and cover letters to distribute at their schools. The MS was not budgeted for this year. We will work with the MS VP’s to include funding for MS mini-grants next year.

-YMCA Request for Funding:

Jacki distributed a letter from Barbara Turk, the VP of Marketing and Community Outreach with the Tarrytown YMCA to the board. Jacki explained to Barbara that the P.T.A. contributed funding for the Royston Residency for the 3rd grade that Barbara referenced in her letter.   Barbara is requesting an additional $1,000.00 from the P.T.A for funding for the Spring Play at WI. The YMCA is now forced to pay for the ability to perform the plays, as the staff at WI requested they move away from Shakespeare plays which are public domain and have no cost to perform.  This amount has been built in to P.T.A. budgets in the past.  A motion was passed to distribute these additional funds and the vote passed unanimously with no abstentions.

 

-Coat Drive

We were pleasantly overwhelmed with the final results of our annual coat drive. More than 150 coats were donated by the community.  RG Laundromat/Green Machine (located on Main Street and John Street in Tarrytowns) volunteered to launder/dry-clean all of the coats.  They generously donated their time and resources and wanted to recognize them for their contribution. Coats are going to our social workers to be distributed, as the coat drive is now closed.

-Holiday Helpers Event

Jacki advised the board that many kids from the community were involved. Monday will be the deadline; Andrea mentioned that Spirit Wear will be sending some items as well.  Nitasha suggested that we create a year-round, ongoing help event.

-School Updates

JP- Jen advised the board that the holiday sing-along will be 1PM Tuesday December 22nd.  Andrea mentioned the need for volunteers for spirit wear at this event starting at 12:30 PM; she will speak with Tara about volunteer availability.

Morse- Dancy said that photo retake day went well. 1st graders were attending the Nutcracker play at the Westchester County Center today.

W.I. – Book Fair: The total sales were over $14,700. We receive 25%.  Monday kickoff was very well attended.  Jacki noted that holding the book fair during parent/teacher conferences was challenging, but also created a noticeable increase in attendance and revenues.

The W.I. upper sod field has been completed and should be ready for the spring.

Leah mentioned that the pick-up and drop-off routine at W.I. is more structured and pedestrian traffic has improved with more people using the designated crosswalks. N.Y. State is studying safer traffic patterns for the pick-up and drop-off area of W.I.

Ms. Massaro attended the solar panel forum last month as a representative of W.I. The solar panel/windmill has been installed alongside the W.I. upper field.

Lastly, it was noted that W.I. officially has a full time nurse on board.

MS- Dancy needs volunteers for the middle school book fair being held the last week of January; Dancy spoke with Scholastic about sending more mature, middle school age appropriate books. The link to the book fair will be added to the Horsemen website, and will also be included in Jean O’Brien’s email blast.  Dancy noted that the online element of the book fair will be better advertised this year as well.

Currently, the middle school has parent/teacher conferences once a year. Mitch and several board members feel there is a need for two conferences a year, as this is done in all other schools in the district.  Jacki and Angel agreed that this is something they should discuss with our interim Superintendent Mr. McCann.

-Spirit Wear

Andrea noted that they have decided to front-load their inventory for Spirit Wear. As a result, supplies are plentiful, W.I. winter concert brought in $300 in Spirit Wear.  Jacki suggested advertising the new white t-shirts for the spring color-run and Relay for Life events.

-Box Tops for Education

JP is already registered for Stop n Shop, Laura Richardson has agreed to register for Morse, and the W.I. student council handles this for their school.

-Other Updates

Mitch commented on the Coupon Book fundraiser and asked if there was a way to target previous book-buyers specifically and that we should advertise the event more in advance on social media sites the next time we hold this event.

Jacki mentioned that volunteer signup sheets should be used at back to school night in the middle school for Career Day, Book Fair and Staff Appreciation. Parents are interested in helping at the MS and having an opportunity to come into the school.

Lastly, Donna Gates advised the board of a critically ill 7th grade boy in our community.  She asked that we keep the boy in our thoughts and prayers.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:05 AM; our next meeting will be Friday, January 22nd.

Meeting Minutes, Uncategorized

November Board Meeting Minutes

November 20, 2015 PTA Meeting at Administration Building

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Jennifer Bayliss

Mitch Sylves-Berry

David Neilsen

Jennifer Povman

Donna Gates

Katie Scully

Maribel Palacios-Perez

Senia Sakarya

Tara Schatzel

Elia Londono

Karina Arreola

Andrea Gottschall

Welcome, Fundraising Update:

Our meeting was started at 8:36 A.M. by Jacki and Angel.   Donna Gates updated the board on fundraising events.  Our wrapping paper campaign is completed.  PTA made over $11,200 in profits; Middle School numbers are included in these results.  Donna also noted that The Charleston Company was very easy to work with.  Thanksgiving pie sale totals have exceeded 134 and are very comparable to our sales total last year.  Pick up will be Tuesday at J.P. between 5 and 7 P.M.  Donna is accepting orders until Monday November 23rd and our profits should exceed $500.  This year, 630 coupon books went out to the community.  91 books were sold for a net profit of $1,200.  Unfortunately over 400 of the books were not returned.  Although this poses no risk to the PTA, in the future, a different venue may be more appropriate for this type of event.  The board suggested a Yankee Candle fundraiser in place of wrapping paper next year, however there was some dissent, and the board agreed to compare their respective profit margins.

Vote

A motion was passed to have the middle school PTA merge with the Pre-K to 6th grade PTA 210 unit.  The following is a list of PTA voters and the final results:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Donna Gates

Jen Povman

David Neilsen

Maribel Palacios-Perez

Elia Londono

Karina Arreola

Jenn Bayliss

Andrea Gottschall

Tara Schatzel

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Senia Sakarya

Katie Scully

 

Voting in Absentia (via email

Dancy Balestrieri

Kelley Anniccherico

Melissa Eisele-Kaplan

Nitasha Kumar

Jhoana Segarra

Virginia Collins-Williams

Leah McVey

Fiona Galloway

Pamela Louis

 

Result Totals:

24 Yes votes

0 No votes

 

Another vote was held to officially name our PTA organization The Horsemen PTA; this vote passed unanimously.

SRO vs. Youth Officer

The board discussed the use of a special resource officer (SRO) vs. a youth officer, or no police presence in our Sleepy Hollow schools, Angel spoke about a district meeting attended by our mayor where these issues were discussed.  Angel advised the board that out of the 28 districts, 11 have SRO’s and 11 have youth officers.  December 10th this topic will be discussed further at the Board of Ed. Meeting with an expert in the field.  The board went around the table and voiced their opinions individually regarding this topic.  The majority of the 15 members were in favor of an SRO with 4 people choosing to abstain.

School Updates

JP-

Jen Bayliss advised the board that photo day was a success and that unfortunately there was a recent lockdown at JP.  Although chaotic, everyone was O.K. and dismissal was uneventful.

Morse-

The book fair event was a big success. Although there were some tough parking challenges with street closings, the event brought in over $11,000.00 in sales.  Photo retake day is being held December 3rd.

WI –

Book fair supplies were delivered yesterday and the event kicks off November 30th

MS-

Jacki informed the board that career day went well this week.  Although there were some cancellations of candidates, there were a wide variety of careers represented with pledges from speakers to return next year.  Katie spoke about the recess redesign project.  Phase I of the project has been completed.  Phase II has started and the committee are considering which surface option to use.  Dr. McCann is helping to price out different options.  Katie also said the percentage of children that now play outside has almost doubled.

Other Updates

A few members of the board met last week regarding the Board of Ed’s superintendent search.  The members helped to draft an email to the board requesting permission to pose questions to potential superintendent candidates, and also requesting to see each candidates answer verbatim.  The board replied that they would consider our questions but that they would not submit each candidates reply back to the PTA.  The board noted that executive sessions are to be kept confidential.   Angel followed up with a sample question to the board with no reply as of yet.

Jacki noted that the Main Street Laundromat in Tarrytown has volunteered to launder all coats for the upcoming coat drive.

A flyer was distributed to the board regarding a “Relay for Life of the Tarrytowns” interest meeting that is being held Tuesday, December 1st at 7PM in the Administration building boardroom.  Jacki asked each board member to please distribute this flyer to 3 people.  Maribel noted that she will be recruiting volunteers to be on a district committee for this event.  The committee will help raise money, educate the public and create awareness.  This event is the American Cancer Society’s signature event and will be held in June, it is an overnight event.

Andrea advised the board that Spirit Wear fundraising is finished for the year.  All merchandise has been distributed except for the middle school.

Jen Povman spoke about the Rivertown Parents seminar on October 15th given by Jessica Leahy.  More than 100 people attended.  The next seminar will discuss managing your money; this will be in February or March.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:18; our next meeting will be Friday, December 18th.

Uncategorized

October 16, 2015 PTA Minutes

October 16, 2015 PTA Meeting at Administration Building

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Jennifer Bayliss

Mitch Sylves-Berry

David Neilsen

Jennifer Povman

Donna Gates

Kelley Anniccherico

Katie Scully

Pamela Louis

Amada Reimundez

Leah McVey

Fiona Galloway

Paula Thaler

Maribel Palacios-Perez

Senia Sakarya

Welcome, Introductions, Unit and Membership Update:

Our meeting was started at 8:40 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. The board went around the table, and took turns introducing themselves individually. Jacki began with a unit update.  Jacki and Angel are working with the regional PTA (WEPR) on the merging of the middle school and elementary PTA’s.  The M.S. and H.S. PTA’s have been officially dissolved in the eyes of NYS, and we are waiting for final bills such as insurance to be reconciled.  A vote to combine the M.S. and elementary PTA’s will be put before the board.  According to the regional office, for voters to be eligible, they must all be members in good standing with their membership dues paid.  David informed the board that renewals can be done directly with him, or electronically online.  David will send an email to the VP’s with membership application information.

Volunteer Coordinator

Although Tara could not attend the meeting, she asked Jacki to inform the board that all volunteer forms have been collected, the W.I. forms are new and being distributed. Tara also asked Jacki to remind all VP’s to follow up with their volunteers and send out thank you notes after each event.  Lastly, Tami Soshan has reached out and asked for help next Tuesday with photo day at Morse.

Fundraising Updates

  • Donna Gates advised the board that the wrapping paper fundraiser with Charleston Wrap ended today. A lot of orders came in and there is technically a 1 week extension to accommodate late orders.
  • Donna said she had many volunteers to help her organize the Coupon Book campaign at the middle school. 680 bags were put together in an hour’s time.  An email blast from Jean will include the coupon book information for the district, and thank you notes will go out as well.  The bags are expected to be distributed on Monday.
  • Donna mentioned that our Thanksgiving Pie fundraiser will take place this year and will confirm the dates with the Pastry Chef. Donna asked the board which day would be best for pie pick up and everyone agreed that the evening of Tuesday November 24th would work best.  Lastly, Pam Louis mentioned that Evelyn McCormack offered her services to help the PTA with any public information dissemination that may be needed in the future and suggested that she might be of help in this fundraiser.

School Updates

JP- Jen Bayliss advised the board that photo day was a success and they are receiving many costumes for the drive.

Morse- Jacki mentioned the book fair celebration is being held tonight from 6-8 PM. The All for Books campaign brought in over $500 in donations for books for students in need.  Jacki said there were many MS & HS student volunteers, and the earlier calendar date seemed to work out much better.  We receive 25% of the proceeds from the book fair to support our programs, events and grants.

W.I. –

  • Donna noted that Photo Day will be this Wednesday.
  • Traffic patterns are still being ironed out and a crossing guard notice has gone out through backpack mail.
  • Volunteers may be needed to help monitor kids at W.I. prior to morning start up. This will be discussed at the next VP meeting.
  • Maribel talked about the chess program that she is running. Each class costs $1,200 to run and there needs to be a minimum of 15 students to cover the costs.  There are currently 60 students and 20 scholarships at Morse and 2 classes for 3rd grade at W.I.  Maribel raised the possibility of holding a fund raiser to help the club.  One idea mentioned was bake sales at the November 16th W.I. play, as well as the concerts in December.

MS-

  • Mitch informed the board that families have requested an additional day of parent-teacher conferences and an additional day is being discussed.
  • A monster ball dance is being held at the end of the month to help fund the Washington D.C. field trip. The start time for the dance is being pushed back to a later time that will be announced.
  • The yearbook process is being tweaked at the middle school, to help improve the experience.
  • Jacki added that she and Amy White are working on getting guest speakers for Career Day on November 19th.
  • Mitch mentioned that some things are still being done to improve on the recess redesign campaign. The feedback from the recess redesign has been overwhelmingly positive, and many more kids are choosing to go outside as a result.

Other Updates

Cyber Safety- Jacki, Jean O’Brien, and Angel are working on setting up a cyber safety/cyber security session for both children (4th, 5th, middle schoolers) and adults.  It will likely be hosted by police officers and other ex-law enforcement personnel.  They will likely be attending an event somewhere in Westchester to see some of the proposed speaker’s existing programs.  The event will likely be held some time next spring.

Angel attended the Superintendent search meetings and presentations. She suggested members of the board attend future board meetings if possible, to show the board that the community is engaged in this search process.  Angel also mentioned that we are free to come up with questions for the candidates and hear the candidate’s responses without violating the confidentiality process.  Angel will advise the board of a date and time to meet to discuss some of these candidate questions.

Halloween Costume Drive – So far we are receiving many costumes for the drive, although there is still a need for girl costumes. AMSCAN has donated many new items again this year, Briarcliff PTA, and Twisted Oak are also helping with costume drives of their own to support our efforts.  Pam agreed to work with Mr. Holland at Morse to get the kids to write thank you notes.

The board concluded with a discussion of the unfortunate incident that happened early last Saturday morning at Barnhart Park. Someone on the board suggested an anonymous tip-line/hot line to local law enforcement might be helpful in the future.  The board also agreed that parents need communication from local law enforcement on preventive measures.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:40; our next meeting will be Friday, November 20th.

Uncategorized

September 2015 PTA Minutes

September 18, 2015 PTA Meeting at Administration Building

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Tara Schatzel

Jennifer Bayliss

Mitch Sylves-Berry

David Neilsen

Jennifer Povman

Donna Gates

Kelley Anniccherico

Karina Arreola

Andrea Gottschall

Katie Scully

Pamela Louis

Nitasha Kumar

Amada Reimundez

Elia Londono

Dancy Balestrieri

Kalisa Augustine

Leah McVey

Fiona Galloway

Welcome, Introductions and Board Update:

Our meeting was started at 8:35 A.M. by Jacki and Angel. Jacki introduced the board to Dr. Daniel McCann, our Interim School Superintendent. Dr. McCann gave a brief introduction and talked about his credentials and experiences. Members of the PTA went around the table and introduced themselves. A very open and informative Q&A session followed. The board also heard from Pamela T. Rourke the Director of Human Resources, as well as Dr. Debbie Hand, the Director of Curriculum and instruction.

Budget Update

Kelley distributed last year’s budget vs actual financials, as well as this year’s budget. Kelley also handed out this year’s Principal Fund checks for each elementary school. She asked that the Board please fill out the PTA check form when requesting funds. The form is called “EPTA Check request”. Kelley also asked that we fill out a form when depositing money from any events i.e.: fundraising proceeds. This form is called “Funds Received”. All forms can be found on the Horseman PTA website, http://www.horsemenpta.com under volunteer resources.   Lastly, Kelley pointed out 2 changes on the budget from last year: 1) The Morse Publishing Center increased from $150 to $300 as was voted on and approved by the board last year and 2) The JP Book Fair Kick-Off Ziti Dinner decreased from $300 to $200 as there is no longer a ziti dinner, just a book fair celebration like at Morse and WI.

Unit Update

Jacki noted that in the eyes of NY State, elementary PTA is treated as separate from the middle school PTA. The elementary unit is in good standing. The MS is still tied to the HS and is a different unit in the eyes of the state. Our regional representatives are working hard to help us do what needs to be done to make it possible to become a K-8 organization in the eyes of the State. A strong middle school membership this year would help to promote our attempt at merging the two, and creating one K-8 PTA. Jacki and Angel will keep us advised, as they hear more from the regional group.

Membership Update

David reviewed the membership form with the board, and reminded everyone to include their name, email, phone and grade. He suggested signing up online and that Paypal is now in effect, with a $.75 surcharge per membership. The membership fee is $10 and it includes advocacy, and some local as well as national discounts. Currently we have 39 paid memberships this year, and our goal is 136. Membership forms will be coming through backpack mail soon.

Volunteer Coordinator

The new position of Volunteer Coordinator has been filled by Tara Schatzel. Tara noted that the W.I. and Morse volunteer forms have been collected. Once all of the back to school events has taken place, Tara will finish compiling the list for the Class VP’s and event Chairs.

Fundraising Updates

Donna Gates advised the board that wrapping paper for W.I. and the M.S. start on Monday September 21st. She also mentioned that photo day will be Oct. 13th for JP, Oct. 20th for Morse, and the 21st for W.I. The “Kids Stuff” coupon book fundraiser for the M.S. begins October 15th. The books cost is $25 and the PTA will receive $15 of each book. The funds are being used to help fund the MS Recess redesign. Andrea talked about Spirit Wear. She brought a horseman pride t-shirt, and also mentioned the horseman hoodie, as well as the pajama bottoms. A local business will be handling the clothing merchandise. Andrea also mentioned that sizes run small so she will be bringing samples to school events.

School Updates

JP- Jen Bayliss advised the board that the class-parent tea will be next Friday at noon. The JP wrapping paper event just started. October 1st is JP’s back to school night, and Jen needs volunteers to help set up.

Morse- Elia and Dancy and the other Morse VP’s will schedule their first meeting with Mr. Holland at Morse as soon as possible. The Wellness Committee is attempting to eliminate cupcake parties for individual birthday celebrations. The committee adopted a district policy that a celebration including cupcakes, brownies/etc. be done once a month to celebrate birthdays. Children’s birthdays will still be celebrated on the child’s day (or as close to it as possible) just without food. The Book fair for Morse was moved to October this year, with the hopes of a better turnout.

W.I. – Donna noted that there has been a lot of positive feedback after back to school night regarding the school’s new principal, Ms. Susan G. Bretti. Ms. Bretti seems to be very involved with the kids on a day to day basis, and has been an excellent communicator to the community thus far. Monday September 21st will be the W.I. class parent tea.

MS- Mitch suggested that everyone come down and see the progress that has been made to the recess space. The new basketball and volleyball nets are up. A fresh coat of paint, along with tree trimming and garden cleanup has really helped to make a difference. Pictures have recently been posted to the 10591 local facebook page.

Other Updates

A costume drive is being organized to help kids in the schools that need. Flyers will be distributed soon.

Karina spoke to the board about the Univision website and their national program showing learning material for grades K-8. A translation program exists to help with email exchanges between parents and teachers. A phone app is coming soon as well. Tutorials and videos can be found on the Univision website to help parents engage their children in reading and writing. We will include the Univision link on our Horseman PTA website once Karina sends it to Jacki.

Jen Povman read the press release to the PTA board for Rivertown Parents. Jen distributed the press release around the table as well as a flyer and invitation for October 22nd for a free seminar hosted by Jessica Lahey titled “The Gift of Failure”.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:30; our next meeting will be Friday, October 16th.

Uncategorized

June 5th PTA Meeting (Approved Minutes)

June 5, 2015 PTA Meeting at Administration Building

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Tara Schatzel

Jennifer Bayliss

Mitch Sylves-Berry

David Neilsen

Jennifer Povman

Donna Gates

Meg Greenberg

Kelley Anniccherico

Karina Arreola

Andrea Gottschall

Katie Scully

Carol Banino (Board of Education)

Welcome, Introductions and Board Update:

Our meeting was started at 8:06 A.M. by Jacki and Angel.  Jacki introduced the board to Carol Banino from the Board of Education.  Members of the PTA went around the table and introduced themselves.  Carol started by stating that the BOE will be working on future goals to be set over the summer with an emphasis on foreign language improvements, dual language, and technology.  Carol opened the floor to questions.  The PTA board asked why there wasn’t more timely communication regarding Dr. Hand leaving W.I. Principal to be the new Director of Curriculum and instruction.   The PTA board also expressed their concerns over Dr. Clouet leaving as School Superintendent.  Pam requested that there be an exit interview with Dr. Clouet regarding any open issues or unfinished projects that he may have.  Carol advised the PTA Board that the best summary of the situation was that they (Board of Ed) are interviewing candidates for interim Superintendent and Principal with great credentials and energy.  The existing candidates seem very knowledgeable, from diverse districts and that someone should be in place by July 1st.  Jacki assured Carol that the PTA and the Board of Education are partners, on the same side, and will continue to work together. Carol and the PTA Board agreed that we keep communication a two way street by keeping the phone lines open, and sending emails, and messages.    Carol agreed to come back after the summer to talk more about updates and The Board of Education’s goals.  Lastly, Carol recommended the Math Club for MS students.  This program is being offered at the Warner Library every other Thursday and is hosted by Dr. Noah Zamdmer at 7:45 PM.

Budget Update

Kelley asked that the Board please fill out our check form when requesting funds.  All forms can be found on the Horseman PTA website, under volunteer resources.   Kelley also asked that receipts be in before June 30th. No reimbursements will be made after that time as our fiscal year ends.

Jacki noted 2 budget item updates.  1) Leah requested the publishing budget be increased from $150 to $250 and the Board voted yes.  2) A Morse field day budget increase from $150 to $350 for inflatables, and the Board agreed that maybe this would be possible for next year, if the PE teachers request inflatibles. Otherwise, the budget for this event will be kept at $150.  Jacki and Angel are working on a June PTA Newsletter to be distributed in the next week or two.  The newsletter has been approved by Dr. Clouet, and list the many accomplishments of the PTA this school year.  Elementary VP’s will need to make copies and have them in school office boxes.  An email with the newsletter will go out soon.

Volunteer Coordinator

The new position of Volunteer Coordinator has been created on the PTA Board.  Jacki and Angel are pleased to announce that Tara Schatzel will be the Board’s first Volunteer Coordinator.  The coordinator will compile lists of the PTA events, and then follow up with the volunteers for each event, so that no volunteer falls through the cracks.  The volunteer coordinator also will keep control of thank you notes.  Tara agreed to work closely with VP’s and class parents. VP’s, please leave all of the volunteer forms that come in from the summer packets in your mailboxes at the school for Tara to collect.

Volunteer Luncheon

Jacki asked that everyone please RSVP their attendance commitment to the appreciation luncheon that will be held Tuesday June 9th at Pierson Park, or the administration building if inclement weather.

Plans for Next Year

The Board still needs 1st grade representation, and JP needs a chairperson.  Morse, WI and Middle School Book Fairs and Photo Day are all set up for next year.  Jacki and Angel thanked Kimberly Marcus who will be moving up to the Middle School.

Advocacy

On Thursday, May 28th Jacki attended a press conference sponsored by the NY Suburban Consortium for Public Education.  They are urging parental involvement in preventing passage of the Education Transformation Act of 2015, which is set to go into law June 30, 2015.  Among other issues, it deals with changing our teacher evaluations and appraisal process.  Please review the email that Jacki sent the board on June 1st with more details regarding the signing of a petition to fight passage of this unfair law.

Fundraising and Color Run Event

Donna Gates talked about the Sep. 21st 2 week wrapping paper fundraiser.  We will be using the company, “Charleston Wrap”, who was the vendor for this in the 2013-2014 school year.  Donna will be meeting with each school’s Principal to discuss programs to promote this effort for each school.  She will need 1 chair per school and 3 or 4 volunteers.  Photo Day will be spread out over 3 separate days next school year; October 13th, 20th and 21st.  The board recommended that the wrapping paper fundraiser event be added to Jean’s weekly email blast to the community, and posted on the Horseman PTA website.

The Color run is set for June 20th and Donna passed around a volunteer sign up list to the Board.  They will need volunteers for 7 A.M. set up.

School Updates

JP- field day and spring concert preparations are currently in progress.

Morse- trip around the community went well.  The publishing event has been completed.  Field Day preparation is also in progress.  The Used Book Drive is being fully supported Mr. Holland.  Deliveries will happen over the next few weeks, some boxes have already arrived.  They will be sorted the week of June 15th for kids in need.  The Board suggested in the future, branching out and emails from class parents at schools other than Morse, and that the information be included in Jean’s weekly email.

W.I.- Field Day is set for June 19th, and although WI lower field is closed, everything is on schedule.

MS- The trip to Washington D.C. went well.  8th grade recognition night is coming up soon.  Yearbooks are being sold in the cafeteria through parent volunteers.

Summer Packets

Jacki and Tara are working on updating the packets.  They will be done for the end of school year, and they will include Spirit Wear order forms.

Rivertown Update

Jen mentioned that Meg Kaufer, community organizer and founder of STEM Alliance of Larchmont/Mamoroneck, spoke on Wednesday, April 29th at the “Full Steam Ahead” initiative.   Discussing what parents need to know about incorporating science, math, engineering and technology into their child’s education. Jen also mentioned that the 5 or 6 events from this year all went well.  She is hoping for an event hosted by Jessica Lehey this fall, possibly October 22nd.  Ideas for next year include; cybersecurity and safety, as well as technology.

Uncategorized

October PTA Minutes

October 24, 2014

Attendees:

Jacki Geoghegan

Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Andrea Gottschall

Pamela Louis

Donna Gates

Tara Schatzel

Meg Greenburg

David Neilsen

Jenn Bayliss

Amada Reimundez

Welcome and Introductions:

Our meeting was started at 8:10 A.M. by Jacki, who mentioned that some members of the community were asking for PTA support for a crosswalk on Rte. 448 where the Weber Park community links to the northern entrance of Sleepy Hollow High School, to help with pedestrians there and the flow of traffic.  We spoke with one of the Village Trustees who informed us that we need to petition the NYSDOT. We can get contact information from the village.

After at least 5 years at $80.00, the Chess club fee was raised from $80 to $88 this year to help fund the scholarships being provided.  A fundraiser in the spring is being considered and will probably include a tournament.

 

Budget

The 2014-2015 budget vs. 2013-2014 actual budget was distributed and reviewed by Angel.  Income estimates were purposely kept conservative and the budget is in balance.  It was noted that the wrapping paper fundraiser has been removed and the direct donation appeal is being targeted to raise $11,000 this year.

Advocacy Efforts

Jacki attended the lower Westchester Education Consortium meeting on October 14.  Representatives discussed a rebate for school districts that stayed under the budget caps.  Also, a bill is in the process of being passed to protect the privacy of children’s personal data from third parties.  Pam mentioned the success of this year’s Halloween costume drive to help get costumes to children in need.  Donations from St. Barnabus (thanks to Mitch Sylves-Berry), AMSCAN and the 10591 Facebook page were instrumental.  The board agreed that this idea of Pam’s should be an annual event.   An annual hat & mitten drive was also mentioned.

Fundraising Update

Jacki created and distributed a direct donation Campaign letter along with a Donation Form to the board.  David and Jacki will make some minor edits to the margin of the initial page and the horseman pta web link address will be added to the bottom of both letters as well, to help direct the donors to our web page for online donations.  Donna Gates volunteered to ask C-Town if they can request a $1 donation at their cashier point of sales register, or put containers out for donations.  Andrea informed the board that spirit wear is expanding the line of clothes and adding magnets and some other items in an attempt to stay different from the football booster items.  The roll out is expected next week with a website included.

Donation Request

Jacki was asked by the Tarrytown Community Opportunity Center if the EPTA would be able to help out with either turkeys or funding for Thanksgiving.  The board agreed on 20 turkeys or $400 in funding.  Also, it was proposed that a link to the community center be put on the W.I. and middle school websites to help inform kids how to get more involved and pick up some community credits.

Rivertown Parents Update

A meeting will be held in conjunction with the Rivertown Parents at the SHHS on February 4, 2015 focusing on transitions and ‘executive function’.  Specifically, the study habits, homework, organization and time managment skills of students.  There will be a panel of people to talk about each transition age (not just the high school to college transition).  There is demand for guidance counselors, teachers, social workers and other field-related professionals to volunteer their time at this event.

Mini grant Committee

The submission period is November 3rd to the 25th and the grant meeting will be in December.  We need volunteers to sit in with a wish list.

Volunteer Coordinator Needed

Angel proposed creating a new board position: Volunteer Coordinator.  This position would serve multiple purposes; we would have one person compiling the volunteers from every school and then distributing it to all VP’s which would help us establish a volunteer database, it would also ensure that we communicate with all volunteers. There have been complaints from people that sign up to volunteer for a specific event and then they aren’t called on to help out when the event occurs.  We need someone who will collect all of the volunteer names and info in our district and enter them into a centralized database to prevent this from happening in the future.

School Updates

MS- Mitch-Sylves-Berry gave a middle school update.  They are discussing expanding the use of communication (email/phone blasts) in the district.  The MS dance has been moved to a later time from 5:30 to 7:30 to try and help boost attendance this year.  Career day will be November 18th.  There will be a media savvy presentation at night for MS parents in the near future.

W.I. –   Things are status quo.  Photo day went well.  Pam chaired photo day and wrote up a “how to” manual for future photo day chairs.  Pam also volunteered to chair next year’s W.I. photo day.  Photos are expected back on November 7th and retake day is November 19th.  Pam suggested that in the future, it would be best if photo day could be held mid to late week of a week with no holidays in the beginning of that week.

Morse- Thanksgiving will be held at Morse as a class-specific event this year.

J.P. – Nothing to report.

 

TUFSD/Scripps Spelling Bee

Pam has been getting information on the Scripts National Spelling Bee.  Greenburgh seems to be the only town participating.  It seems that Tarrytown may be able to join in under Greenburgh.  Grades 4 through 8 are eligible, and a sponsor (probably corporate) would probably help Tarrytown to get into the contest.  The minimum cost is $5,000 and it can’t be sponsored by the school PTA.  The board agreed that we should put off trying to compete this Spring and focus on the results of the monkey survey being done by Dr. Hand at WI.  A suggestion was made, perhaps the Warner Library can host a local spelling bee first and we can see how popular the event is.  Pam will create a flyer with all of the information and forward to Angel.

Our meeting adjourned at 9:40 AM

Next Meeting scheduled for Friday November 14 at 8 A.M.