Horseman PTA Meeting Minutes – September 8, 2017

Attendance
Amada Reimundez – President
Andrea Gottschall – VP, 8th grade/Spirit Wear
Angel Rafter – VP, 8th grade
Ben O’Connell – VP, Kindergarten
Christina Grillo – VP, 2nd grade
Dancy Balestrieri – VP, 3rd grade
Daphne Uviller – VP, 4th grade
Donna Gates – VP, 7th grade
Elia Londono – VP, 4th grade
Fiona Galloway – VP, 5th grade
Julianna Aloia – VP, 1st grade
Karina Arreola – VP, 4th grade
Lauren McBride – VP, 1st grade
Leah McVey – VP, 5th grade
Mitch Sylves-Berry – Parent Ed/Rivertown Parents
Nitasha Kumar – VP, 6th grade
Phyllis Arduino – Membership
Samantha Ford – VP, Kindergarten
Sara Scipioni – VP, Kindergarten
Tara Schatzel – VP, 4th grade
Laura Richardson – Box Tops Fundraiser
Sheila Murphy – VP, 2nd grade

Meeting called to order. Introductions.

Thanks to everyone who helped at Morse’s Back to School Night last night.

STAFFING AND EVENT SCHEDULE

Photo Day
Leah McVey will be point person with the photography company for the elementary schools.
JP and Morse – Recruiting
WI – Leah McVey

Book Fair
Dancy Balestrieri will be point person with Scholastic for all schools.
JP: Samantha Ford
Morse: Christina Grillo
WI: Will recruit at Back to School Night
SHMS: Dancy Balestrieri

Wrapping Paper
Donna Gates will be point person with the wrapping paper company for all schools.
JP: Sara Scipioni
Morse: Alison and Sheila Murphy
WI: Leah McVey and Tara Schatzel
SHMS: Angel Rafter

  • The flyers are awaiting approval with the superintendent’s office. Once they are approved, Donna will put the packets together for delivery October 20.
  • Fundraiser will run from Oct 20-Nov 3. Purchases can be made online.
  • The merchandise will be delivered to the schools on December 7. Each school will receive its own delivery.
  • Donna will write a detailed email to each Wrapping Paper Chair in the coming weeks.

Square 1 Art
JP: Recruit at Back to School Night
Morse: Lauren McBride
WI: Amada Remundez

  • Ms. Barrett asked the chairs need to send an email reminder to the art teachers.
  • We will start thinking about this event more in December.

Chess Club

  • Amada Remundez will serve as point person with the chess company for Morse and JP.
  • Individual coordinators are needed for each school.

Spirit Wear
Andrea Gottschall is the coordinator for all schools.
JP: Christina Grillo will send volunteer information to Andrea when it is all compiled.
Morse: Nitasha Kumar
WI: Leah McVey.

  • We will need volunteers to sell Spirit Wear at the various school events, such as Book Fairs, Back to School nights, movie nights.
  • High school kids should be available to do this as part of their community service hours.

Class Parent Teas
Budgets for the teas were confirmed as follows:
JP: $250.00
Morse: $75.00
WI: $75.00

Back to School Nights

  • Dates were reviewed.
  • Need to recruit new volunteers.
  • VPs from other schools should try and attend events to staff tables for the home school’s VPs while they are in the class meetings.
  • Sign-up sheets for JP and WI were passed out for review. WI sheets have been returned to Christina for small corrections. JP will email any corrections to Christina before their Back to School Night.
  • We need volunteers for the WI and JP Back to School Nights.
  • Andrea will do Spirit Wear at WI. The Boy and Girl Scouts will also have tables there.
  • The Middle School only hosts a Membership Table at their Back to School Night. Amada will send out a reminder email before each Back to School Night.

MEETING SCHEDULING

VP Reminders

  • All VPs should check their PTA mailboxes.
  • All VPs should set up a meeting schedule with their respective Principal.

PTA Meeting Schedule

  • We will start having evening PTA meetings to accommodate people who work during the day.
  • We will alternate – one month we will have a morning meeting, the next an evening meeting.
  • Right now we are considering Mondays at 7 pm for the evening meetings.

Superintendent Meetings

  • The first PTA/Superintendent meeting will take place on Wednesday, 9/20 at 1 pm.
  • VPs will rotate attending this meeting.

TREASURER REPORT

All check requests and financial matters should be sent to Fatima using the following treasurer-specific email address: tufsdtreasurer@yahoo.com.

Reimbursement Procedure:

  • Forms are on the Horseman PTA web site.
  • Reimbursements should be submitted with receipts to Fatima Gianni, Treasurer, as soon as possible after the event.

Budget and Financial Forms Update

  • We don’t have a printed budget yet, but it is coming.
  • Fatima is in the process of updating all the online financial forms on the website.

OTHER DISCUSSION

Halloween Costume Drive

  • VPs need to think about the Halloween costume drive, as Pamela is not directing it this year.
  • Each school should think about making a flyer.
  • The point person for each school will need to work with the social worker to coordinate the distribution of the costumes.

Middle School Movie Night – November 3

  • May sell pizza again as a fundraiser as it was successful last year.
  • Not sure if they will let the students vote to pick the movie, or if they will just pick the movie.
  • The movie night is for middle school students only.

Selection Committee Training
Please remind parents about the Selection/Hiring Committee Trainings.

Information Sharing

  • During the WI VP meeting, Mrs. Bretti asked how the information VPs receive from the principals during these meetings is shared with the greater parent population.
  • Monthly updates should be forwarded to Karen as part of the minutes on the website.
  • We should have Jean O’Brien include this information as part of her Sunday night email blasts. The blast should include a link to the PTA website.
  • Add the PTA web site address to all flyers.
  • We are going to try and have more teachers join the PTA and attend our meetings.
  • Need to find the PTA Facebook page admins to update them and start using the page for regular updates.
  • We will consider setting up VP-specific email addresses next year. For example: Morse@tufsd.org. This email address would be passed down from year to year, to make it consistent.

Swagat
Nitasha mentioned that Swagat will participate in a program which would donate a portion of a night’s proceeds to the Horseman PTA. We should find out more information about the collection and distribution of funds.

TaSH

  • Sept. 9 event was canceled due to lack of volunteers.
  • We will reschedule for September 30.
  • We will sell Spirit Wear and distribute membership forms.
  • Christina will send out the sign-up genius as we get closer.