PTA Minutes April 21, 2017


Angel Rafter

Paul Pirozzi

Mitch Sylves-Berry

Amada Reimundez

Dancy Balestrieri

Andrea Gottschall

Thomas Lipping

Jen Povman

Fiona Galloway

Sheila Emery Murphy

Lauren McBride

Kelley Anniccherico

Samantha Ford-Godette

Tara Schatzel

Leah McVey


Our meeting was called to order at 8:36 A.M. by Angel.

-Fundraising & TASH initiative

Christina Grillo spoke with TASH (farmers market at Patriot Park). They are OK if Horsemen PTA sets up a table at their Saturday event in the spring and fall. Sheila, Nitasha and Christina will have a table with crafts and PTA membership forms (and other literature taken from Horsemen website) from the hours of 8:30-2PM. Please consider volunteering some time for this event. June 10th is the first date on the TASH calendar. High School students can receive community service credit for their volunteer efforts. Please email cdgrillo@gmail.com to volunteer. Jen Povman mentioned that she will stop by on June 10th to help out at the table.

Without a chair willing to run the “Bulbs” fundraiser, the board agreed to table this event for next year. Kelley mentioned that she will consider chairing this event next year.

-Rivertown Parents

On April 20th Rivertown Parents hosted a “Family Tinker Night” at Dobbs Ferry High School. A family learning program on all things science, designed for K-5 children and their parents. Our district is expected to host one event a year. Mitch will summarize a few ideas in an email, and the PTA board agreed to email feedback as well as any other ideas.

-WI Garden

Leah mentioned the need for volunteer gardeners. She and Tom will distribute a flyer in the WI backpack mail requesting volunteers. Westover landscape is under new ownership and will be working with WI to improve the garden. Leah mentioned the need for a master design garden plan. The budget has $400 allocated to the garden. The WI garden needs $250 for mulch, perennials, annuals etc. The board discussed approaching The Foundations for additional funding. Leah and Tom will have a discussion with Ms. Bretti and email the results to Jacki and Angel.

-PTA Planning:

Angel reminded the board to email their intentions for next year’s PTA to her and Jacki. We need a new president, Treasurer, and Secretary.

-Used Book Drive

There will be a used book drive in late May/early June. Jacki will send out a flyer asking for books and volunteers to sort.

-School Updates


Andrea advised that Spirit wear sales just closed. They will open again if orders exceed 12 items or more. 8th Grade students are currently on the Washington D.C. field trip.


There is a hiring process in progress at WI due to bigger incoming class sizes, resignations and maternity leaves.



There were no Morse representatives available this month to discuss school updates.


ESL teacher Helen Sanchez-Zhu will be retiring at the end of this school year and JP is looking for a replacement. The Peabody Preserve field trip has been postponed numerous times due to inclement weather.

-Miscellaneous Questions/Discussions

Andrea Gottschall noted that mini-grant requests have been added to the High School’s future agenda.

Tara noted a drop-off in volunteer participation this year.

The board agreed that we need a new Horsemen PTA banner. The board also discussed the need to increase our membership numbers and the branding of Horsemen PTA. Next month’s agenda will include discussing some ideas to improve our overall memberships. The board suggested holding an event at the Kindergarten registration, such as a tea social for incoming parents/families.

Our meeting adjourned at 9:37 AM, our next meeting is scheduled for Friday May 19th at 8:30 AM.